The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road
Default Korkers wading boots...

I tried the search function but couldn't come up with anything other than ebay listings in the classifieds...Anybody have any input/opinions/reviews on the Korkers Chrome (new model) or Metalhead wading boots??

I like the idea that I can change out the soles depending on conditions and I also like the BOA system for lacing up the boots. I've playeed with them a bit in my local fly shop and they look and feel durable. But I haven't tried on a pair yet and walked around in them.

So specifically I'm wanting to know:

If you've had to hike in them to your fishing spot, more than a mile and not on a paved path, how did they feel?? Comfortable?? Heavy?? Stiff??

How do they feel while wading?? Get water logged and heavy??

I've only used felt soles before and since most places are banning it...How is the traction with the standard sole??

Lastly...if you wouldn't recomend either of these two, what would you recomend and why??

Thanks for any info/help you can provide!!

-Mack
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Korkers wading boots...

Hi Mack,

I have a pair of the ?? I just looked and they don't make it any longer. My pair sold for 89.99 I think and I have the two soles that came with plus the klingon studded rubber. As for the questions:

> If you've had to hike in them to your fishing spot, more than a mile and not on a paved path, how did they feel?? Comfortable?? Heavy?? Stiff??

I have walked 6 miles on one trip in the boots with the rubber studded soles on them. They were about like any other wading boot that I have marched in for comfort. They aren't bad, and the walk was up, down, over, and through. They are going to be three seasons old this year and probably have 20 miles on them (I use boats a lot) and they are not coming apart yet. They are not heavy.

> How do they feel while wading?? Get water logged and heavy??

No: With the studs I have been trusting them with my life and they are fine. I wade some pretty crazy stuff and use a staff also.

> I've only used felt soles before and since most places are banning it...How is the traction with the standard sole??

Smooth rubber not good. Get the extra 'Klingon Studded' not quite as good as felt with studs but pretty darn good, you get used to them.

> Lastly...if you wouldn't recomend either of these two, what would you recomend and why??

If you mean soles, the studs are it for wading. If you are in the boat the plain rubber is the ticket but if you are parking and fishing I leave the studs on. The boot I use is fine.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Ard-

Thanks for the input!! Good to know on the studded vs the regular and that they can hold up to a bit of hiking...not that, that is what I'd use them for. Just like my equipment to be able to multi-task if needed.

Thanks!!
-Mack
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Your welcome Mack,

I've had quite a few pair of boots over the years and these are about as good as any. Some people may disparage the removable soles and it is true that they do not stay completely seated in the tracks along the edges. However I have never been able to notice this while I was wearing them. When you take them off and look at the bottom that is when you see they have loosened a bit. No big deal, just take the little tool and pop them back. They are OK with me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

I have had my Korkers for 4 going on five years and have not had a problem with them . I have the aggressive studded and the studded klingon both of them work very well and keep me upright in some pretty hairy water.

I fish nearly every day and these boots are in great shape considering the demands I put on them. So far I went through three set of inserts they just plain wore out from use, during salmon and steelhead season I fish 7 days aweek sunup to sundown.They are very comfortable to walk in for extended periods of time and a great wading shoe for the money. You won't be disappointed!

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info Allen!!

Looks like I'll be picking up a pair soon.

-Mack
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Your welcome Mack,

One word though if you plan on fishing them in the winter get one size larger so you have room for wool socks.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-