The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Waterproof Boat Bag

I'm in the market for a waterproof boat bag. It appears from my research so far that the top 2 choices are either the Patagonia Great Divider or the Simms Dry Creek (although it looks like Sage has a new entry in this sector, but it is new and I'm not sure it is even available yet). What are your experiences/thoughts on these bags and to which bag would you give the nod? Are there any other options out there I should consider? FYI, I am looking for a bag to go in a Native Ultimate and on the back of a Hobie Float Cat 75.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Waterproof Boat Bag

My money's on the Clear Creek Black Fly Backcountry. Here's a link.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

We have a Seal Line that works well and I just spotted a huge North Face while shopping for some tying materials the other day. All of my North Face stuff is expedition quality.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Here are a some others to consider.

1. The Fishpond Westwater has a molded bottom and that is handy in a boat. There is a waterproof cover.

Fishpond Westwater Boat Bag
Click the image to open in full size.

2. The Dry Bag is made with water proof material and has a water proof zipper. I like a Clam Shell type of bag. It gives you instant access to everything in the bag. Available from Feather Craft.

Dry Bag

3. The Sagebrush Waterproof Tackle Bag. It also has a waterproof zipper but it is angled across the top. Available from Kaufmann's

Sagebrush Waterproof Tackle Bag

4. The Sagebrush Duffel Bag. Has foam on the bottom. It is available from Kaufmann's.

Sagebrush Duffel Bag

Frank
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
My money's on the Clear Creek Black Fly Backcountry. Here's a link.
That one has looked like a good value to me as well. I don't know if that one's on his site, but www.reelflyrod.com stocks Clear Creek and could get that one for forum members.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... I use an insulated lunch bag in my kayak

Something like this one
It was a good value as well..... it was free

Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

The Clear Creek Black Fly Backcountry bag does look good considering the price. Thanks for the link flyguy66.

I have one problem with the design. You would have to be careful to keep heavy stuff on the bottom. If not the bag might tip over. I think it is a minor thing and if a person is careful, the height of the bag would not be a problem. It is certainly priced right.

Frank

Here is what Clear Creek has to say about the bag.

The Back Country Bag

From the airplane, to the lodge, to the boat and back country...this bag is engineered to keep your tackle dry and organized. Waterproof fabric, EVA foam no-skid bottom and coated components make this an ideal saltwater bag.
  • Molded rubber handle
  • Water resistant
  • Two separate compartments with interior pockets and dividers
  • Removable shoulder strap
  • EVA foam no-skid bottom
Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Frank,

Have you USED the Clear Creek bag? I've used one on 3 trips now in a variety of conditions carrying various types of gear. I reviewed it on my blog in my articles about my trip to Florida last May. I use it as my airline carry-on and my boat bag.

The design is what marketing gurus today call "intuitive." You don't really have to "be careful" to keep the heavy stuff in the bottom. The bag's design gently steers you there anyway. Getting your hands on one would make this clear.

But you are correct that if you could put really heavy stuff in the upper compartment and leave the bottom virtually empty (in the sense of added cargo weight), it would not pass the gov't highway safety institute rollover test.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I host fishing trips to some Margaritaville, I use a Patagonia Great Divider as my carry-on piece. I have a lot of my clients using them, too. Here are a few notes.
  1. Great organization. The dividers can be moved around. The clear flap is great for documents, as well as, fishing accessories.
  2. Meets all airline carry-on requirements.
  3. Plenty of space for camera gear.
  4. It takes awhile for the zipper to break in. Turning the corners is difficult at first. It has lube for the zipper.
  5. It only has the shoulder strap. It does not come with a handle.
  6. I won't call it waterproof, but it is very water tight.

MP
Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hi Ken,

No I have not used it. I just noted that it has a vertical configuration and I think a horizontal configuration is more stable in a boat. Just my preference.

I still think it is a heck of a bag for the money.

Frank