The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road
Default The one that got away (aka I need a net)

So I was out enjoying a beautiful 80 degree day and trying out a new fishing hole when, quite quickly, I get a very nice Rainbow. I fight him and wear him out for about 10-15 min swimming him in circles and giving him a little slack every now and then regulating the drag with my hand. He's looking pretty tired so I bring him in the rest of the way so that he's just on my 8-9ft of leader I am trying to get to him, so I raise my rod and reach down to grab him, and you guessed it he starts flopping like mad and bam he's gone. He was about 13 inches long about 3-3 1/2 inches tall and about 2 inches wide. A pretty nice rainbow for the small creek I was fishing in. I was fishing a fairly small nymph (I can't remember the pattern name, but it looks like a mosquito to me) He's the only one I lost. I caught a decent 11 inch rainbow on a black wolley bugger (the cast after I caught a tiny bluegill) and had no trouble bringing him in (he was quite tasty) and some other smaller releasers. So I decided I really need a net, and lucky me my tax return came in the mail this week. It's only $37 because I only worked over last summer so I didn't really pay anything in. So do you guys have any suggestions on a net? I looked a bit previously and it seemed like the $6 nets were just as good as the $30 nets. What's the benefit of wood over aluminum or plastic. Any suggestions?
I know it's just a net, but I'd like some feedback from your years of experience and knowledge.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:43 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The one that got away (aka I need a net)

I am partial to wood. You can get them from cheap, cheap to over $100. I like them because the float if dropped
Old 05-24-2006, 11:34 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

i use metal. got it for 5 bucks or less at walmart. a friend got a nice wood one for about the same price at walmart. just keep your eyes open.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:36 AM

I figured the cheap ones still worked. A net is a net. Then I can use the rest of that money to buy flys and gadgets woop!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

One thing to look for if you plan on releasing any fish that you net is one with a mesh fabric basket instead of the knotted nylon rope. The mesh takes less of the fish's protective slime off in the process of netting and getting the hook out. Other than that, what mike said about getting one that floats is a good idea.

Also, make sure to smash down the barbs on your hooks, as this makes it easier to get your flies out of the net should the hook points get into it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:55 PM

thanks I didn't know about the mesh vs netting. I'll be sure to get a mesh net.