The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Net Recommendation

Hey guys I have finally narrowed down what type of net I want to pick up. I want to get one of the Brodin Ghost series nets but am not sure which model would be best. I am sure that some of you have these nets so please tell me which model you think would work the best for stream, creek and river trout fishing.
Thanks,
Tuck

Last edited by ksigtuck; 10-26-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Net Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Hey guys I have finally narrowed down what type of net I want to pick up. I want to get one of the Brodin Ghost series nets but am not sure which model would be best. I am sure that some of you have these nets so please tell me which model you think would work the best for stream, creak and river trout fishing.
Thanks,
Tuck
I like the catch and release styles: Gallatin and the Firehole. The Gallatin is the larger of the two. If you are catching a wide range of sizes of trout, go with the Gallatin. If you are catching "shakers," get the Firehole.

MP
Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM

deon is on a distinguished road

very interseting
Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you get one with rubber mesh I say get whatever feels and looks right. Rubber is the way to go!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Net Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
As long as you get one with rubber mesh I say get whatever feels and looks right. Rubber is the way to go!!
. . . as long as the "rubber" is that clear (or at least translucent) PVC that Brolin sells, and whose replacement nets fit a wide range of other brands such as my unusual Norwegian triangular collapsible extendable net. Previously I replaced the netting with a black rubber replacement net from Cabela's, and although it fit fine, it weighed a ton - easily several times heavier than the just-as-fish-friendly Brolin ghost netting.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, the black netting is heavier. Right now the only rubber mesh net we have is the boat net which is black. I need to replace my other net someday, but I just don't use it very often anymore, so I'm in no rush. lol.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, Fysh, weight for a boat net wouldn't be all that critical, but if your net is for wading like in my case, that's another matter. When I had replaced my original so-called fish-friendly knotless nylon (or whatever) netting with the black rubber replacement netting I got from Cabelas, I couldn't believe how much heavier the black rubber was. It got to the point when I had the net extended out maximum for netting my trout, it was really cumbersome with a big trout in it. It's tricky enough doing your own netting without having to deal with the extra weight.

One really nice characteristic that the translucent PVC Brolin netting shares with the black rubber is that there's no more confounded untangling of dropper rigs, since the hooks don't snag in the netting like happens with regular nets.

One interesting thing I noticed immediately when using the translucent Brolin PVC netting over the black rubber netting is that trout get a lot less spooked when they first see the net - again, something that makes it a lot easier netting your own trout. I guess that's why Brolin calls it a "ghost" net.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 10-27-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I would like to get my hands on a couple of the models to see how they felt but unfortunately the only place around here that sells them only had one model in stock and I can't remember which it was. From the pictures on the Brodin website so many of the nets looked very similar in size but I want to here first hand experience so I don't end up ordering one only to find out that it is a lot bigger than what I needed it for and difficult to carry/use.
THanks for the help,
Tuck
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Just a follow up...I picked up a Brodin Gallatin the other day. I haven't had a chance to get out on the water with it yet but am looking forward to giving it a try.
Tuck
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree good choice.