The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 PM

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Hobie Proangler

Looking at purchasing a fishing kayak. Right now my gut tells me to go with the hobie proangler with the pedal power. I fish lakes and streams. Any feed back regarding this kayak or other ideas. I presently have a canoe.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hobie Proangler

If you do a google search for hobie proangler you will see some reviews that have been posted, most are very positive. Hobie makes pretty high quality products, but $2,500 for a kayak seems a little steep and it does seem a bit heavy at 138 lbs, especially if you compare it one of the frameless pontoon boats made by Dave Scadden that weigh 40 lbs.
davescadden2010catalog

Larry

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hobie Proangler

The ProAngler is more of a boat than a kayak. A friend of mine has one, and he likes it. However, it is heavy and a little slow. I would not want to take one anywhere but still waters (lakes, calm/protected bays). He says that it is a handful, when you are trying to load/unload by yourself.

I have a Hobie Revolution - same Mirage/pedal power in a more traditional sit on top kayak. It is suitable for rivers (not raging white water) and salt water chop in addition to calm water. At ~14 feet, it is fairly fast and agile, and you can handle it by yourself (especially using a wheel set to get from the car to the water via beach, path or dock. It is a sit on top so you cannot get flooded, and yet it is very stable. If you want to able to stand and cast, you need to buy the pontoon kit or look at the Adventure Island (back to getting heavy). It is nothing to take a Revolution out for a multi-mile pedal; you average about 3 mph with the regular fins at a very slow pace (same as riding a bike at about 8 mph). The Revolution also costs about $1,600.