Can't decide...Need opinions!

ksigtuck

Reaction score
I am needing a new pack/vest and am having a really hard time deciding between getting a Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack or Filson's Foul Weather Fly Fishing Vest. I know they are both completely different and I like different things about each. I want to hear yalls opinions on which, you think, would be a better investment and why. I know that ultimately it is my decision but I want to hear from others on what they like or don't like about these two.
THanks a lot,
Tuck

Bigfly

Reaction score
Tuck, my god what a question. I've changed vests/packs more than any other piece of gear!
The search goes on! Plunge in buy both, and let ME know. (But only use one at a time!)
The Filson will weigh more and be hotter in summer, but has been around. Fishpond's material is lighter I think, but as a guide I need a bigger pack (Wildhorse or Wasach), so now we're back to heavier and warmer. As a guy who covers ground, weight and temp are more important than retractors and such. I now buy a pack that fits my CF boxes. I don't think there is a perfect product yet, the search is the thing! Enjoy.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi ksigtuck,

I have provided pictures of the pack and vest you are asking about for all to see. When I read your question I thought it would be easy to answer. But, when I looked at the two items they seem to be miles apart in their use. I don't think anyone is going to be able to pick what you would like best.

You need to try them on and go through your mind how you would use them. Imagine getting out a fly box or tying on a tippet and just generally see where everything is located. I personally don't like any oiled fabric that I have used. They are fine in the sun but all that I tried smelled when they got weight. This new material may be better and hopefully lighter.

Frank

Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack

Filson's Foul Weather Fly Fishing Vest

FrankB2

Reaction score
This is a topic that confounds me often. I want something better
than my $15 walmart vest, and have tried several high-end vests, and a
few Fishpond and other brand fanny packs. The fanny packs fall down, and
the pricier vests tend to be too long (I'm 6'2"). I just keep plodding along with
the $15 wonder that I bought 10 years ago.......

Bigfly

Reaction score
Frank, I have a friend who would rather die than change his 20 yr. old vest! (I only wanted a catalog photo!)
Whatever works! He implies fish juju is at stake, much like pitcher's lucky socks.
I have sold tons of gear in retail, in a variety of outdoor sports. People will ask me what the best boots are, or whatever. I always say, what fits you is best. As a professional coach/teacher, I also know how important the "right" gear can be for top performance. My teacher believed we need six flies to fish. That allowed him to carry everything in a very small belt pouch on his wading belt, with (One box, tippet, grease, and some spl.shot.). When I wear a farmer-Jon to reeallly wade, I have a small nameless mesh shoulder pouch given me by a Rep. (That's why I switched to C&F boxes.)
When working, I currently use a nylon knock-off of the Filson "pannier" style (front/back) guide pack. After three years it's wearing out so I'm starting to shop.
A chest pack, like Frank showed us, is great if a person spins it around behind them. This avoids the frontal bulge thang, and line issues. (Note the shoulder strap to prevent slipping down.) The only drawback I see here, is there's nowhere to carry my net. (mine's largish) This set up may be safest when wading bigger water because you can bail easily if you swim. A heavy vest buckled/zipped up is a little harder. (Just a thought, my work pack is close to twenty lbs.)
I try not to change set ups too often, because right now I can grab nippers, grease, whatever, without even looking at them. This is one serious way to get fast and productive, as I'm sure you know. Like, life/love/fishing/gear, the search is the fun.

Last edited:

ksigtuck

Reaction score
Thought I would update on this. I ended up getting the Fishpond Pack for Christmas. It seems like a great pack with quite a bit of room but I have yet to get it out on the water. The only problem that I have run across has been trying to find the best way to attach my net to it. The most comfortable position I have found wearing the pack is using the neck sling and positioning the pack to the lower left side of my back with the sling across my right shoulder. I attached the net to the sling with a parachute cord so that I can sling it around the on my back. Not to sure if I really like this set up but I guess I will give it a try and see how it works. If there is anyone else that owns this pack I would love to hear how you have your net rigged up to it.
Tuck

yatahey

Reaction score
This is a topic that confounds me often. I want something better
than my $15 walmart vest, and have tried several high-end vests, and a
few Fishpond and other brand fanny packs. The fanny packs fall down, and
the pricier vests tend to be too long (I'm 6'2"). I just keep plodding along with
the $15 wonder that I bought 10 years ago.......
Frank,
I'm right with you on the Wally World Wonder. Mine's on it's third season with no runs, drips or errors on it at all. My moto is, "If it aint' broke, don't fix it." And I am not a slave to fashion. :D It holds everything I need and then some and for me at least is quite comfy to wear.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Thought I would update on this. I ended up getting the Fishpond Pack for Christmas. It seems like a great pack with quite a bit of room but I have yet to get it out on the water. The only problem that I have run across has been trying to find the best way to attach my net to it. The most comfortable position I have found wearing the pack is using the neck sling and positioning the pack to the lower left side of my back with the sling across my right shoulder. I attached the net to the sling with a parachute cord so that I can sling it around the on my back. Not to sure if I really like this set up but I guess I will give it a try and see how it works. If there is anyone else that owns this pack I would love to hear how you have your net rigged up to it.
Tuck
This is a simple fix. Push the net, handle first through your wading belt behind you.

mojo

Reaction score
I've had vests and fanny packs. Recently a Fishpond Waterdance Guide pack (past 3 years).
The vest is uncomfortable. I like the Fishpond, but if I had to do it all again, I'd get a shoulder bag.
Here's an expensive version by Hardy Bros.
Hardy Fly - Products - Accessories - Luggage

Here's the less expensive versions
- Uncle Sams Army Navy Outfitters

And this one looks just plain cool
Messenger Bag - Uncle Sams Army Navy Outfitters

As does this one
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=9568&ST=2&Skull Vintage Paratrooper bag
You can get all your fly boxes, a camera, extra reels or spools and a couple beers if you want in them. They just look more inviting anymore. Comfort and style baby.
Or maybe I'm just going thru another faze (phase?).

ksigtuck

Reaction score
MOJO: How did you attach your net to the guide pack? Not sure if you saw my update but that is the pack that I bought and I am struggling trying to find a comfortable and convenient set up for my net.
Thanks,
Tuck

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Mojo may be on the right track. I fished with an Arctic Creel for years before I every bought a vest. Worked fine for a young fellow with little money.

One thing I always look for is a net ring on the neck strap of any pack. If it doesn't have one I move on.

Frank

Arctic Creel

mojo

Reaction score
MOJO: How did you attach your net to the guide pack? Not sure if you saw my update but that is the pack that I bought and I am struggling trying to find a comfortable and convenient set up for my net.
Thanks,
Tuck
I have a Willie J hook net that I use just for rivers. I keep a lanyard on it so I don't loose it, but I hook it on the elastic sides of the lumbar belt. You'll see it looks like a cartridge belt with the elastic tight. Not looped like a cartridge belt. I'll have to take pictures.
Frank, if I saw a bag I really wanted and it didn't have a net ring, I'll put one on.