The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Midge Threader Fly Box

My eyes aren't what they used to be. Threading a size 22-24 midge on 7X tippet is an exercise in futility. Add to that the time of year I mostly use that size fly, winter, and things get real funky.
I own a waterproof 14 row CF Designs fly box which I love the slotted foam is a great way to hold flies. Trouble is sizes 20 and smaller flies tend to get swallowed up and are hard to get out of the box.
I've been coveting the CF Designs Midge Threader Fly Box for a long time but could not justify spending $52 on a fly box. Well, surfing around Ebay I found a knock-off version for $6.99 plus $1.90 shipping. It came the other day. The quality is not up to CF standards but it's not bad. The foam is not as rigid as the CF and the box is not up to their tight specs but for the price it's a steal.
Trouble is the threaders are the size that will only take down to a size 18 fly. I had to go to the fly shop and buy the CF Design Midge Threaders separately for $16. Still not bad. CF Designs makes the threaders in three sizes down to Ultra Midge which will take a size 32 fly.
So now I have my 20-24 stacked on 4 threaders and my size 18 flies stacked on the threaders that came with the box. My eyes are now happy.
Here's a link to the fly box if anyone would like to get one.
Fly Box With Small Fly Midge Holder - eBay (item 150385552778 end time Jan-01-10 07:48:49 PST)
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Midge Threader Fly Box

Yat: Thanks for the info, my eyes are in the same shape! Recently I bought one of the 20/20 magnetic threaders and it works pretty good except for the flies that have material covering the eye, other than that I have found it pretty useful, but I think the smalles size I have tried is a 24 (I think, not real sure).
20/20 Magnetic Tippet Threader - Accessories

Larry
Old 12-18-2009, 07:59 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

I went to opposite direction--instead of threaders I went for better eyes. I have a Bausch & Lomb jeweler loup (4x) which I wear on the corner of my sunglasses while fly fishing. The standard magnifiers I found in fly shops, etc., lacked the optical quality I needed and I couldn't see the smaller hook eyes which I use all winter. The Bausch & Lomb loupe has excellent optical qualities. Now 7x tippet through a #28 hook eye is no problem.

Bausch & Lomb: Classic Metal Eyeglass Loupes
Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
I went to opposite direction--instead of threaders I went for better eyes. I have a Bausch & Lomb jeweler loup (4x) which I wear on the corner of my sunglasses while fly fishing. The standard magnifiers I found in fly shops, etc., lacked the optical quality I needed and I couldn't see the smaller hook eyes which I use all winter. The Bausch & Lomb loupe has excellent optical qualities. Now 7x tippet through a #28 hook eye is no problem.

Bausch & Lomb: Classic Metal Eyeglass Loupes
MBWCC: That looks like an excellent idea, what does the 4x loup cost?

Larry
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

For a most reasonable price, and all the parts needed (threaders) this box can be purchased at Bass Pro. Replacement parts are also available.
White River Fly Shop RiseForm Fly Box with Fly Threader
Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
For a most reasonable price, and all the parts needed (threaders) this box can be purchased at Bass Pro. Replacement parts are also available.
White River Fly Shop RiseForm Fly Box with Fly Threader
Auntie Em: That is a very reasonably priced fly box and it includes threaders (hard deal to pass up).

Larry
Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
MBWCC: That looks like an excellent idea, what does the 4x loup cost?
Cost is the one downside to the loupe. ~$32 from this source: Bausch & Lomb Classic Metal Eyeglass Magnifier Loupes FREE S&H 81-41-37, 81-41-79, 81-41-27, 81-41-78, 81-41-17, 81-41-47. Bausch & Lomb Magnifiers.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 PM

goby is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but I use reading glasses. They are $8 for 3-4 pairs on Amazon.com.

I found the cheap midge threaders are terrible. The C&F boxes are spendy, but amazing. But the reading glasses work great.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

What about a magnifier that attaches to your hat? $10 at bass pro. I also have that magnetic tippet threader as well as the midge threaders. Magnifier is what is working for me now.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a midge threader box and love it. Some of those flies are hard enough to see, let alone thread that small eye on the hook with 7x! I am blessed though, pushing 40 and have never worn glasses. For the most part I don't even use magnifiers when I tie, but have picked up some 2.5x cheaters to wear when I'm tying smaller than 20. Very helpful for intricate work. I'm reluctant at this point to pick up the flip ups for the hat but my days are numbered I'm sure