The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the Vest to transport necessities or a Chest/Backpack
Chestpack 52 35.62%
Vest 72 49.32%
Neither 23 15.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Hill Country Rods

HCR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vest or Chest.....

I prefer the Vest.

When I was in the Army, I used a vest a lot to carry some of most wanted equipment. Can't do without water and rounds.

So now I wear a vest, its like second nature.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I have used both, and found both to work quite well for me. The vest holds the most and is comfortable when 75 degrees or less outside. The chest pack (wj gear bag chest) holds almost as much, works well with a hydration bladder in the back, and is a little cooler. Chest pack also works best for staying dry when wading real deep. (not recommended in moving water)

I now mostly just use a fanny pack because its cooler still, and a little more convenient over all. Mine has two water bottle pockets, a large main compartment, and a smaller one with slots for files and tippet spools and such. It also can be used as a chest pack with a neck strap added on.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Big Cliff,
Which brand and/or version of fanny pack do you own?
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-26-2006, 01:56 PM

Bugchecker is on a distinguished road

I've never found anything I like better than a vest. That doesn't mean I wear it all the time but it will be close. I like the orvis tackle l pac. It holds more than anything I have seen.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Vest or Chest.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Angler View Post

I'm almost due a new vest. When I get one, it will be the new William Joseph vest. That thing is super nice.
Which new William Joseph vest are you referring to? I'm seriously considering the WJ Fusion, and would as a new member appreciate any opinions, feedback, etc. that you and others have on what seems to be a very innovative vest - even now, several years after its introduction. Most of my flyfishing is Rocky Mountain - streams, rivers and small lakes, occasionally in a float tube but mostly wading.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:24 PM

natureday is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to natureday

It is way better to be naked while fishing!
And yes I know- there is no where to put the hooks, maybe you coudl wear a belt
Old 07-08-2007, 07:21 AM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

I primarily freshwater fish, and use my old vest probably out of habit more than anything else. It fits well and serves the purpose, so I suppose that's all I can ask for.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

i got a guide series vest. so far it hold alot of sruff and i still have more pockets. it was 20 bux and gander mountain. works good so far. never tried a pack tho

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I tried a Chest pack but had trouble wading due to my 40" waist & the fact I couldn'd see my feet..Back to the old vest....... Maybe I just overstuffed the chest pack because I fit Most of what was in my vest in it because I had trouble leaving anything behind.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I use a "regular" vest much of the time. However, in warm weather I use the Orvis fully loaded chest pack. The chest pack is easier on the shoulders, better on longer hikes into the fishing area, and COOLER. The pack actually holds more supplies. When the temperature drops out comes the vest.