The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the Vest to transport necessities or a Chest/Backpack
Chestpack 52 35.62%
Vest 72 49.32%
Neither 23 15.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vest or Chest.....

Right now I use a vest, but I'm thinking about moving to a chest pack. I'm gonna hit the water with my vest and equipment and see how it goes before I hit the trout streams this fall.

I definately hate that feeling of full pockets (except with money, but I've never experienced that).
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

William Joseph Escape Chest Pack, pictured here.

Cabela's -- William Joseph Escape Chest Pack

I got it because most of my trips are Day trips or longer. Room for a lunch, coat, water bladder, few extras. Have just wore it a few times locally, but it wears well.

As you know we are doing a trip into the Winds and will be basing at several lakes and doing day trips throughout. So far nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureday View Post
It is way better to be naked while fishing!
And yes I know- there is no where to put the hooks, maybe you coudl wear a belt
This is why God (or whomever) made the butt-crack....will make you stand at attention...so to speak.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

It depends whether I'm going to the mountain streams or Driftboating or wading....... mountain trips a chest pack is great becuse of the weight factor........ if I'm wading or Driftboating I like the vest because of all the gear you can take with you plus it holds extra Blasting caps!
The light weight equipment is a plus when walking up steep terrain in the mountains plus if you have the mesh type fabric you don't sweat so bad!

Lambster
GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM

FGFlyguy is on a distinguished road

I used to fish with a vest until I started having back and neck pains after spending a few hours on the water. Later, I heard through the grapevine that the pains might be caused by the weight of the vest on my back and shoulders. I was advised to try a fanny pack and I've been pain free since. I originally purchased a William Joseph flats pack (similar to the current rip tide) but found that it was a bit small for my liking. I just recently upgraded to a Fishpond waterdance and couldn't be more happy. The only improvement to the pack that I would recommend would be to include a couple of retractable zingers like the WJ had. Either way, if anybody is suffering from the pains I experienced, I would definitely recommend a fanny pack.

Kevin
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Honestly, I use a vest currently, but I would like to find a light weight chest pack. I have found that most of the time I carry way to much stuff with me on the river. Is there any suggestions on a light weight chest pack that would only hold the basics.

John
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

I use a 10 year old fanny pack right now that is loaded with a spare furled leader, four tippet sizes, two small fly boxes, nippers, indicators, and forceps. I use this setup on any of the local lakes, and the local creeks and rivers as well. I never feel I do not have the right item.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclampwork88 View Post
Honestly, I use a vest currently, but I would like to find a light weight chest pack. I have found that most of the time I carry way to much stuff with me on the river. Is there any suggestions on a light weight chest pack that would only hold the basics.

John
John,

I got this one. Not huge, but not miniscule either. Might have been an easier decision to me as I don't have alot of stuff right now. But, it will hold the basics.

Click Here
Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM

ckalanik is on a distinguished road

has anyone considered a chestpack that works with a backpack? it seems to me like you could take a lot of stuff. i have been looking that the simms system because it's waterproof
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I have both a Vest and a Chest pack. I guess I like them both about the same. I just use the pack for smallies and the vest for trout. Could reverse that easy.
I got the Watermark Midge from Cabelas for 25 bucks but it is gone now. They have the "drake" that looks a tad bigger and is 29:

Cabela's -- Watermark Drake Chest Pack

Here is the Midge at another place for more money:

Watermark Midge Chest Pack - CLOSEOUT at Fishwest Online Fly Shop

The vest I have I think I got for 15 bucks at wallyworld.LOL. But it holds stuff just fine.
Nothing has ever been perfect. I need a rotating pack so I can call up the item I want and it spinns around till that item is there. Right.