The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

View Poll Results: Do you prefer the Vest to transport necessities or a Chest/Backpack
Chestpack 52 35.62%
Vest 72 49.32%
Neither 23 15.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Vest or Chest.....

I have and use both, depending on what I'm fishing for. I have my Watermark for Steel; I like the backpack feature on that, a mesh shorty vest for general trout fishing. For Hex time I like the chest pack; I also use that for most of my Smallie fishing.

I have been trying to find the chest pack Frank showed the picture of; but Orvis quit making it I have been told. If anyone knows where I can find one please shoot me a PM.

Dan
Old 06-26-2009, 11:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped wearing vests a long time ago. I found that they were too easy to overload. Now I'll either use a chest pack or load up my pockets depending on what I'm doing.

MP
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default packs are overrate

i fish fresh water and am happy with my vest..the biggest ting i dont like about packs is you have all that room to fill up and thats just more weight to carry around all day..and to be quite frank some people just look plain funny with a big old pack on them
Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Both, and I use an old C.C. Filson strap vest made of their oiled cotton. It isn't a vest, it isn't a chest pack, and it does have a pack on the back for whatever. Pretty cool, I've been using it about 11 years or so and It gets better looking with each passing year.

"Might as well have the best".

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM

2Rymans is on a distinguished road

Orvis fanny pack with a lanyard for local and easy in and out and a fispond double haul for a hike in or all day event.

Jim
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I currently use this pack in the regular size and have been pretty happy with it. While it is a smaller pack it does carry everything that I have needed. The only thing that I wish it had was a loop to hang a net from.
Tuck
http://www.orvis.com/store/productch...subcat_id=6670
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Cleep1700 is on a distinguished road

Like the FishPond San Juan chest pack because it prevents me from becoming a pack animal. As long as I have pockets, I think I must fill them.
Craig in windy Kansas