The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing Kayak

a guy who I fished with down in Cape cod had a kayak that was designed so you could stand up and cast,,,, it had a railing that went up about waist high just in case you needed to hold on or lean forward onto it..

do any of you know what brand this was and if you are familier with it can you give an opinion?

thanks Ted in Mass
Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly Fishing Kayak

Hi Tajue,

Is this the boat you are asking about?

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

thaistick is on a distinguished road

It's called the freedom hawk great for sight casting alittle on the heavy side,i rented one bone fishing in BELIZE, wont buy one like the hobies better for were im @
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes thats it! other than Thaistiks opinion is there anyone else??

how heavy is it? I'm not going hiking with it so as long as its liftable to get down to the water thats fine but hows it in the water---> is it more stable than other kayaks especailly when you'd rather stand to cast,, is there other kayaks you can stand up to cast in??

90% of my fishing is ocean.

edit: The outriggers are easily removed for transport and storage. When removed, the overall length of the kayak is reduced to
10' and it's carrying weight is only 39 lbs. (this doesn't seem too heavy)
Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

thaistick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
Yes thats it! other than Thaistiks opinion is there anyone else??

how heavy is it? I'm not going hiking with it so as long as its liftable to get down to the water thats fine but hows it in the water---> is it more stable than other kayaks especailly when you'd rather stand to cast,, is there other kayaks you can stand up to cast in??

90% of my fishing is ocean.

edit: The outriggers are easily removed for transport and storage. When removed, the overall length of the kayak is reduced to
10' and it's carrying weight is only 39 lbs. (this doesn't seem too heavy)
Hi tajue I do most of my fishing from a kayak,the freedom hawk it's bout 90lbs awkward to car top if you dont have a trailer and not very fast on the ocean side.I use the hobie revolution with their patent mirage drive.removable outrigger when I am fly fishing best thing about it is MY hands are free to fish and peddlle without having to put the rod down.If you really want to fish the ocean hard core I would look into the hobie adventure island,stable with their foldable outrigger and very fast in th ocean hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish the Cape out of my kayak quite a bit.
While I suppose there are situations where you could stand, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a kayak just to do that. Most of the time the water is too choppy or the current is too fast
....just my opinion
Old 01-30-2010, 04:39 AM

Okay thats cool,,, I'll look into that other kayak and see about that too.

thanks for the posts.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

I don't own one, but have read lots of good reviews on Itinerant Angler forum about the Native Ultimate. Many people on there own and like them, and several report they can fish standing up from them.

One of these days I'm going to have to look into one, but I know I'll like it and want to get a couple more to take clients where it will take me. But guiding is more of a hobby for fly fishing in Kansas, so I would not get my investment back in any reasonable time.

Keep us posted on what you are looking at and what you get.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Be sure to pack some Goose repellant when kayaking.
LiveLeak.com - Goose Wages War On Pro Kayak Angler
Old 01-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fly Fishing Kayak

Out on Cape Cod, the seals are more of an issue
Young pups want to play and they'll sneak up on you in your kayak, make a big explosion in the water, then swim off as if they want you to chase them.
When you're just sitting there quietly fishing and suddenly there's a big KABOOM only about 3 feet away, it's heart stopping, change your skivies time.