The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vibram Soles

Simms has authorized cobblers that will do it. There's a page about it on their web site.
You can also do it your with the aquastealth soles from Five Ten
Five Ten | AquaStealth? Kit - XL
Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

After the post above I decided to send a quick email not to Simms before I hit the rack. Here is their response to the question I asked:

Good morning,
Thank you for contacting Simms in regards to your felt/vibram question. I think I can point you in the right direction on this one.
I have included a list of authorized Vibram cobblers that have the Streamtread ™ outsole (see link below). You can contact any of these shops to get the work done, or if you prefer, you can send to Simms and we will take it to our local cobbler shop. I would always suggest that a person look to see what his closest option is in regards to saving some money on shipping expenses. Our local shop, Carter’s Cobbler does a great job and I have heard only good things in regards to some of the other shops on this list. Typically, you can expect to pay around 75.00 to 80.00 to get the work done. Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide for you.
Simms Fishing Products -- StreamTread Sole Technology

As usual, great customer service response time from Sims.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Rip - You and I must have been typing at the same time. Great minds.........

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Rip - I looked at the Auquastealth kit - appears to be strictly a glue/bond solution. On a wading boot I wonder if the Vibram resole would be stitched and sealed? I looked at some of the websites of the cobblers recommended by Simms but they do not state how they resole. I will have to contact one to find out.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

It looks like the Simms Star cleats would give an improved hold over the standard stud. That is if the wings don't break off with use. Anyone use them yet?

Orvis also has an improved cleat but I couldn't find a picture of them.

Frank

Star Cleats
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have not used any of the star cleats yet just the regular ones that they have. From what I have seen so far they seem to wear pretty fast. I have worn mine a hand full of times with the studs in them and the little "beads" inside the studs already seem to be wearing flat. It seems to be only a cosmetic thing though because they seem to still be gripping just fine. Will have to continue to watch them and see how they wear.
Tuck