The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default Vibram Soles

Now that the vibram soles have been out long enough for some serious field testing, does anybody have an opinion on whether or not they perform like felt?

I want to get some new shoes before summer and want to go with Simms. I have the Guide series in felt right now. Love them.

Any first hand information would be very useful.

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vibram Soles

I had a chance to test out some Streamtread boots when they were released. This is what I found out.

1. Felt has an edge on rock snot covered rocks. It creates more friction to cut right through it.

2. The addition of the hard bite studs increase the grip of the Streamtread soles to grip a variety of surfaces.

3. Streamtread soles grip better for hiking out of the water.

4. Streamtread soles do not become KISS style platform soles in the snow. Imagine Gene Simmons in waders.

5. I know some guides who have well over 100 guiding days in their Streamtread boots. It seems that their boots can go well over another 100 guiding days easily. Keep in mind most of my guide friends spend more than half of their time in the drift boat.

MP
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have a pair of Simms in the Vibram soles and have been pleasantly surprised how well they grip in slick rivers. I loved my felt so was a little cautious on buying a pair of the Vibram but could not be happier with them. I did add the studs and they help a lot. THey are also really nice for hiking out of the water as well.
Tuck
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Mojo turned me on to the Simms Rivershed Vibrams and MAN WHAT A BOOT!
I have been out with them twice and they really do very well. It is early in the year and the streams are washed clean so I have not screwed in the hardbite cleats yet, but could not be happier with the boots performance. As others have mentioned, walikng on land is a treat also.
Dave

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have the Rivershed boots. Use the cleats a couple times for snot rocks. I've had the old Simms Guide boots (5/10 sticky sole with the spikes) for 9 or so years before that. I also have some Orvis Brogue felts that I've worn a couple times, but I'll never go back to felt.
I'd wear the Rivershed boots if they ever want me on Dancing With the Stars, but I know that ain't going to happen. But I can picture this-
Twinkle Toes Mojo & April Vokey up next doing a tango. Music by Ted Nugent
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I don't know what scares me more about MP's and Mojo's posts:

The image of Gene Simmons in waders, or the image of what I think Mojo must look like dancing to Ted Nugent.

I think felt soles are a thing of the past and you will be hard pressed to find them within two years and they are definitely cleaner. I have yet to hear any real bad news about performance. Slick rock seems to suck regardless, but if they are better for hiking (which I do a fair share of) and are better getting out, that is good enough for me.

So I hear you guys saying to go ahead and cleat the soles? I don't walk a lot on real hard surfaces, but I do encounter sandy downhills and grassy hills and snow.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcordray View Post
I don't know what scares me more about MP's and Mojo's posts:

The image of Gene Simmons in waders, or the image of what I think Mojo must look like dancing to Ted Nugent.

I think felt soles are a thing of the past and you will be hard pressed to find them within two years and they are definitely cleaner. I have yet to hear any real bad news about performance. Slick rock seems to suck regardless, but if they are better for hiking (which I do a fair share of) and are better getting out, that is good enough for me.

So I hear you guys saying to go ahead and cleat the soles? I don't walk a lot on real hard surfaces, but I do encounter sandy downhills and grassy hills and snow.
The Nudge Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's some stuff for you to feast your eyes on, just some options on staying on top of things to put it bluntly.
Simms Fishing Products -- StreamTread Sole Technology
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Going to get the Riversheds and put cleats in them. Thanks for all the info guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The Nudge Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's some stuff for you to feast your eyes on, just some options on staying on top of things to put it bluntly.
Simms Fishing Products -- StreamTread Sole Technology
Side note: Saw Nugent a couple years ago in Albuquerque with ZZ Top. His set was a combination of bunkers, machine gun turrets, deer and elk trophies, and camo. Shot a flaming arrow into a stuffed dummy of Bin Laden. Wango Tango!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I think you will be very happy with the Riversheds....best boots I have ever owned!
Tuck
Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I own two pairs of Simms River Tech wading boots with felt bottoms. One pair I am currently using, and the other pair is brand new. I have trouble finding boots to fit (big feet) so when the opportunity came around to pick up a second pair of the same boots on a bargain sale I bought them - have never worn them. More and more locations continue to mandate non-felt boots - does anyone know if it is possible to replace a felt bottom with a lugged/Vibram sole?