The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sling or fanny

Sorry, I don't have any fish pond, but I have Orvis Fanny, and Sling, and recently bought the WJ sling. I absolutely love slings. They are out of the way, don't wear on your hips, don't get wet if wading a little deeper, and convenient as heck. I can even ad a Hydration to my WJ.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: sling or fanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi randyk,

I have used a vest for years and years. That was all I had in Alaska. The problem with all those pockets is you will fill them up and the vest will weigh a ton before you know it. If you hike a lot it can be a pain.

In recent years I have been using a Chest Pack. I tried many including the slings but I like the one pictured the best. The pack is fairly small and it is not too wide to interfere with my swing arms. Many chest packs are too wide for my taste and they interfere with my arms. The ones that I always look for has a ring at the back of the neck to hang a net. To me that is one feature that any pack or vest must have.

The big advantage of the pictured pack is the harness setup. I can tighten the harness and the pack is tight against my chest. So when getting out of a boat or leaning over, the chest does not move or dangle like some. I wear mine mostly in my pontoon boat and I can wear it with no problem. My vest gets in the way so I seldom take it in the pontoon.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Frank,

The Orvis chestpack you show was the first chest pack I bought after years of using a regular vest. I agree with you, it is a very comfortable pack that worked real well for my travel and day fishing for several years - at least it did until my daughter permanently borrowed it from me !!

Of course then my wife was forced to buy me a new Fishpond chestpack; so it all worked out OK in the big picture of things! I find using a smaller chestpack forces me to be more selective and keeps my gear load lighter.