The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default shade advice

i currently use smith sunglasses. they work ok. the glasses dont work so well in the shade or over cast days. I was thinking about getting the smith interlock glasses, which allows me to change my lens. does anybody use this pair. Is there a cheaper option? anything i should consider before shelling out $140?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shade advice

I have been a Smith/Action Optics user for many years. I used early generations of interchangeable Smith/AO glasses, but I found it a hassle to swap lenses. It is more convenient to grab another pair of glasses.

Also the polycarbonate lenses are very good quality, but the glass lenses are higher quality. I find the optics on the glass lenses to be crisper and more precise.

MP
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

mine arent Smith but they are Costa Del Mar and the pair i have has interchangeable lenses and i really like that fact of them....3 sets of lenses for one pair of glasses. i really like mine
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM

i was just looking at the glass lenses for smith site. they have that polarchromic. it changes tint with different light conditions. Should i get a cooper lens that would better cover all ranges of light conditions? I also checked out Costa del mar. They got some sweet glasses. In the summer on the river it can get really bright and then you get in the shade and it can get really dark. Living oregon as well i should expect many cloudy days. I have lost 3 really nice glasses to the river (without leash) and looking for the perfect pair. I also use them for driving alot as well. i was hoping to get them from REI. i get my dividend and a 20% off coupon thanks for the input so far, you guys always have helpful insights.

Last edited by thonyb; 03-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I have been a Smith/Action Optics user for many years. I used early generations of interchangeable Smith/AO glasses, but I found it a hassle to swap lenses. It is more convenient to grab another pair of glasses.

Also the polycarbonate lenses are very good quality, but the glass lenses are higher quality. I find the optics on the glass lenses to be crisper and more precise.

MP
I'm with MP on this. I've got Smith Action Optics glass sunglasses in medium amber, plus several other sunglasses with polycarbonate interchangeable lenses (Hobie, Orvis, Bolle). Glass lenses do seem to me to give better clarity of vision, and they clean a lot easier than plastic lenses, which seem to attract dust more being less static resistant. However, there's another important factor here besides clarity of vision, and that's eye protection from errantly-cast flies. I guess the answer here is to make sure your glass sunglasses are impact-resistant, as most plastic polycarbonate lenses are.

As to color for flyfishing, unless you're fishing the salt or large lakes when dark gray or blue seem to work best, I find amber/copper/medium brown to work best for most stream or river fishing. For me I'm able to see through the water better than with darker lenses. For that reason, even though I carry darker interchangeable lenses when fishing with my polycarbonates, I rarely bother changing the amber lenses out.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:08 AM

hey thanks for your input fly2fish. One pair of smith glass lens sunglasses sold you guys are awesome. i just wanted to make sure that i didnt look over anything. Ill write a review about the pair i get.