The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM

tanglefoot is on a distinguished road
Default life jackets

Picture this!
There I was, out in the Mojave Desert in Arizona, camping with my RV in a dry wash when a guy walks up and hands me a life jacket----????

"If you want it you can have it" he says. He told me his daughter had bought this inflatable life jacket for him when he was kayaking but it got in his way and he couldnt paddle..... Since I obviously had a boat I was a likely recipient.

Now first of all, I tow an 18 ft boat behind my RV. Why on the desert? -Another story perhaps....!

Anyway this jacket is obviously brand new, it rolls up into a thing that goes around your neck and down your chest. It has an emergency pull lanyard that trips a small CO2 bottle to inflate it.
Well why not??? I said thanks and put it in my boat. I checked it later and the CO2 cartridge was missing. I looked for one and found they retail for $29.95 for a "rearm kit". On E-bay I bought 2 capsules for $30 including shipping. The vest itself retails for $130! It is camo when folded up and bright orange when deployed..
Was this guy just generous, or a litlle nuts, or was this thing stolen? I will never know. But what the heck, I now have a neat little inflatable life jacket for whenever I get near deep fast water..
Jim
Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: life jackets

An extra life vest is always nice to have.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sounds like someone is trying to head off fate, I have an old Sterns fishing vest that uses the same technology. Traveling the rivers without it is not an option.

Wear it Tangle,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

My buddy kids with me everytime we float tube, cause I take a PFD. don't always wear it, but it is always there. I am a decent swimmer, but, cold water and a few hundred yards of cold mountain lake water can take a toll on anyone. Me, I'm an old cub scout, and a current cubmaster, be prepared, you never know. Nice score by the way, sometimes fate steps in and makes sure your protected, maybe this is one of those cases. I would keep that thing handy.

d
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM

tanglefoot is on a distinguished road

yes freebies are always nice! Just got another one----- We decided the 37 ft trailer was just to big for overnighters or short fishing trips and decided a slide-in camper on the truck would be great and also allow us to tow the 18 foot boat... Started looking and found several used ones in the $1800 to $4500 range.
Then Eureka, found an 8 footer with fridge, stove, furnace, etc as a freebie!!!
These nice folks are giving it away, the only problem it has is a small leak in the roof and that is easily fixed... So I will pick it up this week, mount my 10 ft. portaboat on the side, pack my rods, and we are off.... Just think, parked by my favorite stream, trout on the grill, and sitting at the table tying flies to match the hatch..... Maybe even enjoying a cold long neck.
My endless thanks to the great god Hackle!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Clean living? It sure looks like the man upstairs is telling you to get out and fish a bit with all this free stuff.

d