The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default tb's new gear

i got a bunch of new gear couple of weeks ago. wanted to really try em out on the river before posting about them.

Simms headwater chest pack. **** (4 stars)

awesome chest pack. lots of pockets. fold down fly bench. The fly bench is really nice. I had the fishpond san jaun vest and flies would work their way out of the patch and fall in the water. This simms dosent fold down all the way to keep this from happening. I also ordered a fishpond replacement foam to stick in it, because it dosent come with one. if worn traditionally kind be a little bulky. it sticks out a little bit. but after seeing a video where a person was wearing a fishpond vest to the side, i decided to give it a try. It works out very well. the whole pack can be pushed behind me, not interfering with my fishing. it also has a nice neck pad. it didnt get tb 5 stars because it can fit a little store bought water bottle, but anything else is to big. i think it also can be connected to another system there are just two things that buckle into nothing. they can be tucked into a pocket, but i have just stuck water in it. I also have not loaded it up to see if it would be comfortable carrying heavy stuff.

Patagonia watermasters ****

these waders are made out of really tough material. they have a neat little hook up thing so you can still have the suspenders on and just unclip it from the straps to just wear to waist or pee. the back is a little difficult to unclip. the straps dont clip in like conventional waders you kind just step into them and pull them on to the shoulders. the strap also dont stop at the top of the waders but goes down deep. they also added a sock in the booties the keep your feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. it hasnt been nice enough for me to say they keep your feet cool, but they do keep them toasty. i was fishing with a friend today who was wearing neoprene waders and complained that his feet were numb. my feet felt just fine. awesome waders..... just wish they had the outside pockets like simms waders.

Simms freestone vibram boots with star studs****

These boots are comfortable. before i had these i used just felt. I dont wade with confidence like i did with felt. today i almost tumbled a few times cause the rocks were a little slick. with felt those rocks wouldnt have phased me. the lack in confidence in the water was gained by going down super steep trails. they are awesome. here i had no problem getting to the river. the toe part of the shoe is also very spacious. this is a well thought out boot and looks like it is built to last.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tb's new gear

Good reviews... I've been looking into some new chest waders and vibram boots... thanks for the tips!

- Justin
Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tb's new gear

How are the Patagonia waders holding up?
I am interested in some Guidewaters.
Thanks!