The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Bare Essential Tackle...

I may be opening up a can of worms here but: For some one (i.e. me) just starting out in the fly fishing scene what bare essential tackle would one need? I'm no stranger to fishing just fly fishing.

Thanks Anglers.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bare Essential Tackle...

Rod, reel, line, leader, selection of tippet material 5, 6, & 7X

Flies for brookies & rainbow trout in the Smokies; Bi Visible, Elk Hair Caddis, and Adams in size 14 & 16's and a small box to carry them in.

A pair of light weight breathable waders and wading boots

A pair of line nippers for trimming knots

A knot tying guide so you can learn basic leader knots and fly connection knots

Wear drab colors, a cap, and get bug spray.

When hiking in the Smokies remember that you are in the range of the Eastern Timber Rattler so keep an eye open for them. I have hiked and fished Abrams Creek and most of its tributaries. I came upon a big yellow phase early one morning lying right on the trail about a mile up from Abrams camp ground. Remember you will be in their park so don't plan on killing one if you see it. Just keep the eyes peeled and get some pictures

The flies I named are the basic brook trout dry flies that I used in the park. If you decide to fish for the browns down around Tremount you will need more selection and be advised, those fish have seen it all.

There's always something I left out but those basics will get you going.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that I've ever seen bivisables offered for sale. I use them myself, but I think that they're considered so old fashioned to be of little value.

Interestingly enough, in an old book that I have, Making and Using the Fly and Leader from 1933, the author Paul Young assumes that if you're fishing a dry fly, then it's a bivisable.
That's how important they were.

I've always used fingernail clipper for line nippers, and IMO you can go without the 7x tippet but maybe add 4x instead
Add a pair of polarized sunglasses to Ard's list plus for those of us over 50, reading glasses and and wading staff
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I'd add a vest, or chest, waist or sling pack to carry all your stuff.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I kinda knew that a Bi Visible may not be available but I guess I slipped on that one Paul. I would add the Gray Fox Variant to the list of flies but they too have become extinct. Smoky Hiker, if you really want a few Bi Visible dry flies send me a PM, they are about the easiest fly to tie and for plunge pool fishing they are hard to beat.

I am adding Fly Floatant to the list. I like the granular powder type that you just smash the fly around in to dessicate it and remove fish slime with. But others may have some better types. As you see I am not quite current with what's on the market. Keeping those flies floating high & dry will be a lot more important than pattern is. Size will matter but float is #1.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
I'd add a vest, or chest, waist or sling pack to carry all your stuff.
I'm a recent beginner (to fly fishing) and I think I over bought gear. For bare essentials, you can fit a couple extra leaders, a couple spools of tippet, a pair of nippers, and a small fly box in your cargo shorts/pants pocket.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but wading boots and waders are somewhat of a luxury IF you want to go bare essentials. Fishing from the banks will limit some angles, but you can catch fish without wading.

Polarized glasses are also a luxury more than an absolute necessity. The fish have no idea that you're wearing sunglasses let alone whether your lenses are polarized.

There's no need to carry an entire tackle shop into the water with you. You don't need a fishing vest or pack. If you plan on being out all day, you can carry water and snacks in a small waist pack or backpack. It doesn't have to be a fishing specific pack. If you buy a vest, you might just be tempted to fill it.

Rod, reel, backing, fly line, leader, tippet, and flies are the bare essentials you need to catch fish. Everything else might help you, but they're not the bare essentials.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hemostats are a huge help.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Ard is right on this for the smokies but i would have to have an orange stimulator or orange palmer . There are other like the hazel creek and yellow may patterns that always work.but if you are like me you find you leave nothing because what you leave out you some how convince yourself thata what you need to catch fish or thats what they would be hitting if you only had it.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:06 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Rod, reel, line, leader, selection of tippet material 5, 6, & 7X
I'd agree with most of what Hardy said, but I'd have to disagree with him here. At the very least I'd replace the 7x with 4x and, depending on what you're fishing for and where you're fishing, I'd probably replace the 6x with 3x.

7x is a great way to frustrate a new fly angler. You're going to lose enough flies due to your casting as it is, you don't need to perpetuate the problem by using a lighter tippet than is necessary for 99% of conditions.

I'm certainly no expert, but as I become a better fly fisherman, I'm finding myself going to bigger tippet, not smaller.