The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 11:52 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon, trolling motor and a battery

Hello everybody,
I recently got a pontoon and it came with a huge 125 amp hour marine deep cycle battery that I have a hard time even picking up, really, it's that big so I want to get a smaller battery for my minnkota 36lb thrust trolling motor, what would you guys recommend?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pontoon, trolling motor and a battery

Martin,

This sounds like a question to aim at Bass Pro. They will be expert on the Minnkota motors and power packages.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

Martin-

On my toon, I use the yellow topped Optima battery. I believe it's a deep cycle as well. And it's the same size as a regular car battery. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the 27 that is Huge and weighs about 60 lbs...been using one for years. But deep cycle batteries acid filled lead core use to be allot less than the AGM's. I use to get batteries from 40 to 60 dollars (last one being around $68.) It appears they are way over $100. now so the AGM might be my next choice.
But I think a battery with allot of cranking and hours is going to be a little heavy. Even the 27 Optima Yellow Top is 54 lbs.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM

big_al is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Pontoon, trolling motor and a battery

I have a 9' quad tube pontoon boat and tried a full size battery. A little heavy. Found the absolute best battery for pontoons to be either the Optima D51 or the D35. Both are deep cycle and will last a very long time. Over the winter you can just leave stored, pull it out in the spring and go fishing. Both weigh about 24 lbs. They are about 139 to 159 but they will out last several Walmart wheelchair batteries. I found that REMY battery has the cheapest price.

As soon as the season opens here in CA I plan on cruising Crowley with my pontoon boat for three days straight!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

Thanks Big Al, I'll look into that one. I took my pontoon for a ride but I didn't bring my trolling motor, that battery is just too big!
Nice, I live in SoCal, where do you fish?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

That Optima D35 looks to be the same battery that I use on my toon.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the specs, I think I would still have to go with the 27 AGM if one at all. Gel would be the bast choice, but check the specs out on this one:

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

I think this is my next battery....Heavy sure, but I am use to the fact they weigh that much and just try not to pack it that far.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I don't need no stinkin' electric trolling motor.

54 lbs. of motor.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo: You water skiing with that setup?

Seriously, I bet that setup will get up and scoot across the water!

Larry