The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Headlamp for night fishing? Suggestions?

Any suggestion on brands? There are lots of Chinese headlamps on Ebay but most are probably junk.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Headlamp for night fishing? Suggestions?

Cabelas has a combo light/magnifier that clips on your hat brim. 40 bucks. Haven't tried any others because it works great. I use it all the time because I can't see worth a toot. When I need a light it's there. Heck, I use the light more at night in camp cooking dinner than on the water.

-Mike
Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have been using petzl headlamps for years, they are solid. i think loon outdoors makes one that would probably be good as well.

ARFE
Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I really like the hat clip on lamps, but unfortunately I've only bought 2 of them at walmart with PLASTIC clips. They both got brittle in the cold and snapped when I was trying to put them on a hat. I wish SUREFIRE would make a clip on hat light, I'd pay 40 or 50 bucks for it because I know it would last. I know alot of people who use Petzls and they all love them. I can't stand the bra straps wrapped all the way around my head so I'll keep looking for an acceptable hat clip model...or Ill buy a new cheap one every year; which I hate to do, but can't find a quality one. As far as light output, any quality light (and the cheap ones too nowdays) will give you a light lumens rating.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 04-25-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road

I've used a petzl for four years, it replaced my surefire. I can understand where the headstrap might bother you, but when you need to use both hands they are perfect, and the batteries last forever. I like the one with the red lenses also in case you are practicing light discipline.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have two of the type sold as 'Energizer' brand (around 16.99 here) I like them because they have 4 beam selections. One of those beams is red, this gives you good illumination but does not advertise your presence like a white LED beam.

Sneaky,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

THe thread caused me to snoop around the internet a little. There is a PRIMOS PH1 that is a single AA battery flashlight. It has a metal clip that fits the bill of a hat. 90 lumens!!!!! That is an insane headlamp. It is supposed to butn 3 hours on one AA battery. As long as it stays attached to my hat that looks like my next light. Hope that metal clip is pretty stout.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

I use a ball cap with two LEDs in the bill. Cheap, effective and you can get them at Lowes.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish at night quite a bit.
You don't want to be advertising yourself with a light if at all possible and they ruin your night vision. My light stays in my pocket until I really need it.
If you're going to use one near the water, at least use a red lens
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

like 304rodco, I use the ballcap with leds in the bill, I also have a couple cabelas clip on led lights one in green one in red. all work.

d