The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Boots Without Waders?

This may seem like a silly question, but hell I'm going to ask it anyway. When I bought my wading boots, they were sized to fit over my waders. Now that summer is almost here, and I may not wear my waders, what do I wear on my feet? Should I just be looking for neoprene socks? If so, what about sizing, since I probably don't want to wear wool socks underneath the neoprene socks? Any suggestions on brands would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boots Without Waders?

I wear wool hiking socks and Simms Guard Socks. The guard socks have a foldover gravel guard. The hiking sock is there to take up volume and to keep extra stuff from getting between the guard sock and your leg.

Dennis

Edit: Patagonia makes a similar product.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Second what Dennis said, wear them with shorts and if I'm in water that has a lot of leeches I wear the convertibles tucked in the Simms.

Dan
Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Simms version MP mentioned in his post and have found them to be perfect for fishing small streams where waders are not needed because I'm not even standing in water that goes up above my ankle.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

So if I understand, you wear socks and then over those you wear the guard socks? If so, how do you know what size guard sock to get (assuming of course that I have to mail order them and can't try them on first)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing this by memory, so I may be off.

Small 6-8
Medium 8-10
Large 10-11
XL 12-13

If you are on the half size on the upper end of the scale (ex. 8 1/2), go with the smaller size.

Dennis
Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

Neoprene socks/booties do not drain well, and your socks will just absorb more water. Wet wading in wading boots without waders is a compromise if you plan on hiking a lot.

Few days ago, I hiked over 6 miles using rubber soled wading boots (Redington Eco Grips), 2.5mm neoprene booties, and thin ski socks that I folded over mid calf as rock guards. It was a major pain in the feet. I forded the stream over 10 times, so it would have been a major hassle to wring out my socks and booties after every crossing. The skin on your feet get real tender and prone to damage after walking around in wet boots.

However, I don't know what would have been a better alternative. Hiking boots wouldn't have drained at all. Mesh water shoes wouldn't have provided the support I needed for the terrain I was on.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

I don't own waders so when I tube I wear surf booties and the fins, that works fine for me. If you don't like the booties just get a pair of cheap hiking boots.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 8200rpm,

Hiking long distance and wading can be a real problem. Since you were crossing the water frequently it must have been a smaller stream. When I fish smaller streams I try not to wade. In Alaska my favorite boots were ankle fit hip boots. With the right fit you can hike a good distance. There is the problem of perspiration wetting your feet but wool socks helps that.

My other solution for crossing shallow streams and a lot of hiking was a 8" pair of Bean Boots. These are the ones with the rubber bottoms and the leather tops. Added a pair of good insoles, a wool sock, water proofing and I used them for years. The tongue is connected the full length of the boot and it really helps keeping out the water. I could cross a 6' deep stream and not get wet feet. The leather tops helps to evaporate some of the moisture caused by perspiration. Even with water over the tops of the boots I could make a couple of quick steps and still not get wet feet that were a bother.

Frank
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I use two different pairs of boots- one for winter/cold water, which fit over my waders, and are studded- and one summer pair, which fit properly over the Simms neoprene socks for wet wading.