The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:56 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Wading Pants: Simms Headwater vs G3 Guide?

I've decided that I will pick-up a pair of wading pants...just what I need for small stream fishing that I do. Always used chest waders in the past, but tried pants for latest outing and I am sold. However I'm stuck between Simms Headwater vs G3 Guide pants. Different price points, $250 vs $380.

Anyone have any insights into a performance comparison between the two? G3 certainly have the lighter wieght GoreTex material, but I'm not sure if that is worth the extra $130. I'm under the assumption that both will be very durable provided the right care.

Maybe one more question if anyone has past experience: how different are G3 wading pant from simms orignial wading pant?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Paul
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Wading Pants: Simms Headwater vs G3 Guide?

Paul, not everything that costs more is better, but when it comes to waders, I tend to kick down. Generally they don't work that much better (dry is dry), but they seem to last longer.
It all depends on how much you fish. Once or twice a year, go cheap, more than that, I'd go for G3's. Good luck deciding.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pl4a,

I have the original Guide Pant. It is more like the Headwaters version. They both have the 3 layer construction. The G3 should be heavier and probably doesn't breath quite as well in the 5 layer areas. I think the pockets on the G3 just run up the cost of construction. With pants all you have to do is slack the belt and you can access the pockets in your street pants. The crotch zipper in the G3 is another extra cost addition that is not needed in pants as far as I am concerned. The pants are only waist high and no problem when nature calls. The original Guide Pants don't have the built in gravel guards that the other two have.

Frank
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Good point frank, my G3's get pretty warm in the summer, on my calves.
Kinda depends how much you'll walk, and how hot it is where you fish.
We walk through wild roses, sage brush, and rub up against granite, out here.
The extra thickness pays off. I like the built in gravel guards, I was tired of losing mine, in the river etc....
Just curious Frank, how many seasons on your original pants?

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jim,

I got them new four years ago. I was fishing the San Juan and had stopped by my favorite store. The guy working on Sunday was a guide and we got along pretty good. I had bought several things over a few days and was looking at the Simms Waders. We talked about them and I told him I would buy a pair in a minute if he had the Guide Pants that had been discontinued. We talked a little more and then he went up stairs and came back with a pair of Guide Pants. He said they kept them for the guides but I was welcome to them. He even gave me the guide discount. That was a deal I couldn't turn down. I will never go back to the full chest waders.

Frank
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

this is my 2nd season mostly in the saltwater using the headwaters by Simms. no problems at all! now my friends use pretty much all the guide series waders and they are nice because of the extra pockets but it all comes down my group all fish the same in the same conditions and non of us have any problems from the cheaper to the most expensive,,,, I have to have a rain jacket on so I have plenty of pockets in that. and just keep my main fly box in the headwaters pocket.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Paul,
Following your thread with interest. Which ones did you end up with and are you happy with them?
Rich
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough

Why not the best of both worlds the G3 guide convertibles

Click the image to open in full size.

I have the pants and when I get into deeper water I am screwed or if its starts raining I am soaked.

I have the g3 guide and they are great trust me but a pain when its 100+ degrees out here.. I picked up the convertibles and WOW!!!! Best of both worlds
Old 05-01-2010, 05:46 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Smallieman,
First, nice smallmouth!
I've been fishing in hippers or wet wading so pants would be a net gain. I've considered the convertibles but haven't been able to see them in person. I was guessing that since they did both jobs must be a compromise somewhere. A couple quick questions if you don't mind. How bulky is the waistband when they are worn as pants? Is the upper lighter/thinner than on regular chest high waders?
Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally went with headwaters pants and used for ther first time last week. Biggest difference compared to chest waders was the ability to stay cool. I have a pair of chest waders that I'll keep as backup for potentiall deeper water....but so far I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone over my waist in the Rocky Mountain fishing that I do.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

-Paul