The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM

odi3 is on a distinguished road
Default Recommend me a Floating fly line?

I recently upgraded my old rod to a Sage xp 5 wt 9ft and galvan ob 3 reel.

Currently i am looking for a line to buy for it but honestly i am a little overwelmed with all the different brands types and even colours (Orange spooks fish? no wonder why i never catch anything! jk)

I only fish with dry flies and fish rivers, lakes, docks etc. and lately i have been fishing the St Clair river (in sarnia Ontario canada)

I want a high floating line that is easy to make long/accurate dry casts (my old line sinks at the end from over use and i find difficult to retrieve without rooster tailing, might be another reason i never catch anything) Should i use a Sage specific line? or are there better on the market?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Ryan
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend me a Floating fly line?

I have found that different line works different with all the new rods out there. Sad but true, it is getting more difficult.
I have narrowed mine down. I prefer Superfine WF line by Orvis (light gray color) on my 5wt and smaller, plus I like SYLK WF and DT on my slower rods.
I have tried Wulff Triangle Taper, but I don't like the way it loads on my glass and boo. As far as 6 wt and heavier I go with the Orvis Long Belly WF (various colors).
I don't know if I go along with the color of line scaring fish. Just use longer leaders, but then again I have never used the bright lines. I do use a glow in the dark line that works great anytime of the day (by Rio)
Old 08-05-2006, 05:11 PM

Mike N is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommend me a Floating fly line?

Its not so much the color of the line as the shadow it makes. Any color of line will make a shadow on the bottom and thus any color of line can 'line a fish.'

As for brands, I like Orvis Silver label. Cheap and better memory (or lack of it) than Wonderline IMHO.

Mike