The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Micro Pratice Rods

Anyone use a Micro Practice Rod to practice their casting? I think Echo and Joan Wulff make one. I need to do something to get in more practice and lose the tailing loops.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micro Pratice Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Anyone use a Micro Practice Rod to practice their casting? I think Echo and Joan Wulff make one. I need to do something to get in more practice and lose the tailing loops.
Jimmie: Quit working and become a fishing bum! With all the time you will have your casting is bound to improve! LOL!
Seriously: No I have never used a micro rod, might be a good idea to use for practice. You might try shortening your casting stroke a little with a hard stop on the back cast and then again on the forward cast. If your stroke is too long, it will tend to cause a tailing loop. People have a tendency to lengthen the casting stroke in an attempt to cast further. Try shortening the stroke and let the rod load slightly before coming forward on the forward stroke.

Larry
Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

If you want a micro casting rod take two front section of a 4 piece rod and put them together. Get some yarn and you have a micro casting rod. Run the yarn through the tip and guides and use it just like a fishing rod. Adjust the yarn until you get length just right.

Besides shortening your stroke you can also try relaxing your grip and apply less power on your delivery. Overpowering the delivery is what I do when I get a tailing loop.

Frank
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've seen the shortest casting rod in the world....I met an Austrian guide once...he had a little wallet in his pocket...he opened it...he took out a glove finger on which was fixed the tip of a rod,not more than an inch long.He put it on his fore finger with velcro strips,ran a 5wt line through the guide and started casting in the hall of the hotel....Amazing!tried it too....not easy guys!hope to meet him again on the water and see him catching a fish like that....
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have one Jimmy, but I have an old rod tip that I'm considering turning into one.
Whenever I'm in the local shop I can't help but play with the one they have. Kinda fun. They have the Echo.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
. . . I need to do something to get in more practice and lose the tailing loops.
Jimmie,

I find that tailing loops result when my casting stroke is too short, usually as a result of overcorrecting too long a stroke to correct fat loops.

Give it a try - works for me, and is an easy way to self-correct.

Neil
Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. I'm going to follow all of your advice. In fact I'm going to head to the park this eve to practice.
I'm going to try to make one from rod sections too. Do you guys think indicator yarn will work?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I just started selling these rods at the shop. I like them. I could really feel the rod load up when I got my stroke right. I'm going to be helping teach the casting part of the shop's beginner's class this weekend. I'm going to use the practice rod as a visual tool for the students to see what I am talking about.

MP
Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default I was given one several years ago.

I used it (Wulff) to help teach my son and wife. It seems to let beginners understand the casting process more quickly.

I also used it last month to teach middle school students (10 of them) some basic fly fishing. I do not know what impact the practice rod had, but they all caught at least one fish (bream).

For an adult with some experience, I would think that the money would be better spent with a casting instructor.