The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Please recommend wading boot

My current boots I used for wet wading are size 12 and fit fine. Now I got new waders with 4mm booties that go up to size 13 and there is some extra material. The old boots are too snug so I need new ones.

I'm looking for recommendations for a boot with rubber soles that offers good support for the arch and ankles. Looking for something that won't give me aching feet after a full day or two on the water. What do you have and what do you like about them.

Also, do you wear your normal shoe size or one size up? Using the search function it looks like some are sized to allow for the extra room required by the booties and some aren't.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please recommend wading boot

The general rule is to go up one size to accommodate the extra volume that a neoprene bootie will take up. Some boot companies may build the extra volume into the boots and size them that way. For best results, try a set of boots on with the waders and socks that you plan on using.

I really don't think that there is a good boot out on the market that gives proper support. For that, an aftermarket insole will make the difference. Insert a set of Superfeet insoles in your wading boots. They will cradle your feet inside your boots. I wear them in all my footwear (except for sandals) from cycling shoes to ski boots to wading boots. They make a difference by supporting the bone structure of your foot which helps align your ankles, knees, and hips.

In regards to rubber soles, I think the Streamtread Vibram technology is the best rubber sole on the market. It isn't perfect, but it is better than a few boots that I had a chance to try out. For increased grip, optional studs can be installed.

MP
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I went up one size when buying my boots and they fit. The simms G4 are heavy but a nice sturdy boot. I wanted something that would last and these are built well. As for arch support, they don't really have it but does any wading boot have much? I don't know that. They do have the vibram sole and need the studs. My old felt studded boots had better traction on slippery rocks in the water but I don't want felt any more.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fishiowa,

I would follow MP's advise and try some on with your waders on with the thickest sock you might wear and the arch support in the boot. Put both boots on and walk around. Do not get them too tight especially in the toe area. The better shoes have a box toe with plenty of room.

Frank
Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all for the input. Looks like my best bet is to drive a couple hours to somewhere I can try before I buy.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree the best way is what those above suggested to try them on with your waders. If that's too tough to do you can still be successful on the phone. I got a pair of LLBean Boots as a gift. They were too tight. After talking with a very helpful person at LLBean I exchanged them for one size over. Perfect fit.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

Rich,
Check out Dan Bailey's new rubber-soled boots. I've had the boots for a few months now. Very impressed with the grip of the boots due to the softer rubber compound, plus if you like studs, you can buy any screws out there and drill them into these boots. The simms boots require special short studs which are costly. The Bailey's boots are beefy boots with great support.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperfishing View Post
The simms boots require special short studs which are costly.
The G4's have a thick bottom. I bought some hex head screws from home depot and used those. I'm sure the simms studs grip better but I wasn't paying that price for them.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Cloudveil makes their wading boots already 1size ish bigger.