The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Dry Fly Floatant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I don't use floatants that often. A properly tied dry should float for a long time. If i do I only use the floatant my supplier makes. all natural and permantly floats a fly..I cn only get a few dozen a year.
Sandfly - If I am fishing a straight dry fly, I normally do not use any floatant either - as you said...most drys will float for a long time.

But I like to use the Gink's with Wooleys or Cracklebacks, cast them out as a dry, when they start to drag pop them under the surface and strip them back part way, then stop...they will then start to rise back up and the fish hit them like an emerger. Also works great for floating a parachute or the top of a wet fly so it sits down in the water, looking like it's about to break free.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Dry Fly Floatant

I used to use Ginks as well and was very happy with it. But something that Ive found that I kinda like a little bit better is Loon Aquel. Similar consistency but in my opinion it seemed to work a little better. NO oil slick, no drying time, and floated on the water like it was sitting on glass.
Anyone else use this stuff or have my amateurish ways led me to believe something that is purely my opinion?

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Loon Outdoors ~ Environmentally Friendly Fly Fishing Gear&Accessories

i use loon outdoors floatant. I love it! it works well.. but it gets pricy...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 AM

cketh is on a distinguished road

I've always used and liked Gherke's Gink

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I carry a small 1 oz vial of 91% alcohol to clean the fish slime off a fly after catching a fish. I just put the fly in the bottle & shake it up. I then either blow on the fly or false cast it. If that doesn't work I'll use the frogs fanny powder & dry the fly with the powder. This works to rejuvenate a CDC fly, You shouldn't use any floatant on a CDC, it'll screw it all up. I also carry another 1 oz. vial of a liquid fly floatant I just fill out of one of those pump spray bottles of floatant & I'll put a non CDC fly in that & shake it up & dry it. That way the fly gets cleaned & a good dose of floatant.
I'm experimenting with some other floatants & I like Alboline better than Gink. You use it just like Gink. I also just put a glob of it in a vial & tried to blend it in. I also mixed up a 50 / 50 solution of Rain-x & alcohol & a 50 / 50 mix of Armor All & alcohol. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but I'll post the results.