The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Dry Fly Floatant

In my ongoing quest to acheive adequate flotation of my dry flies, I come to all of you seeking guidance.

I have used the following products (grouped by category and ordered by my relative success)

Gel-Floatant: I've had success using these to prolong a flies ability to stay afloat.
1. Orvis HyFlote - Thicker formulation seems to stick and adhere better. No noticable oil slick.
2. Scientific Anglers Fly Floatant - Tended to separate and was a little thinner in viscosity. Formed visible oil slick on the water.

Desiccant: Simple Yet effective way of drying out a drowned fly.
Cortland - Dry-Ur-Fly

Powder Treatment: I've had poor results with this product.
Frog Fanny Fly Treatment: This stuff just doesn't seems to have much tenacity in terms of being able to maintain floatation longer than a few casts. I DO use the brush and push this stuff into the hackle as deep and thoroughly as possible. Note: I end up applying as much to the water as I do to my fly.

Liquid Treatment:
Parks Fly Shop: Magic Sauce: Applied well in advance of an outing, I've not taken the time to really evaluate treated vs. untreated in a side-by-side comparison. There is a hint of permanent discoloration, but not so much that I would think it problematic. I can't really say for certain how effective this type of product is.

Any thoughts on my experiences? Techniques to improve results or must-have products to try?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dry Fly Floatant

I've used Ginks before with good success. I lost it somewhere along the way so I got some of the Orvis stuff. It works great.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:37 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I recently switched from loon spray-on to frog's fanny to the orvis hyflote gel and my experience with the last two is the same as yours. Plus I run the extra gel up and down the flouro leader to give it a little float as well. I don't see a down side to the gel.
Rich
Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Whats the difference between spray silicone (like home/shop/camp) and the liquid silicone you dip then let dry?
Spray stuff claims fairly high 'purity', only allowing for propellant.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:02 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

I saw a post by frank not too long ago about Hydrostop....I will never go back to anything else. That stuff is the best, apply it once and never worry about it again.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Gink's - keeps the fly floating even when you strip it back under the water, just cast it right back out and it will float high & dry.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:13 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

I am going to agree with Brewmaster, after applying gink the fly darts under water if I wiggle my tip to hard and it bounces to the surface like a cork. I have never tried frogs fanny or any others along those lines, but I am finding the more stuff I purchased from orvis, the more I am thuroughly dissapionted, I.E. leaders, lines, flotant, you know the little things.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Several other nice features of using Gink's is that it can be applied on the spot standing in the stream (no drying time or other delays), it works in hot or cold weather -in cold weather the Gink's will literally liquify between your fingers for easy application to delicate feathers, Gink's guarantees that it will not cause your feathers to "clump up" like some of the other gel/silicone floatants can, Gink's will not discolor the feathers, and is is relatively cheap.

I have used the Orvis gel floatant, the liquid Loon floatant, some un-named powder stuff and the Cortland dessicant - Gink's is, IMHO, superior to all of them - it simply works great!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I don't use floatants that often. A properly tied dry should float for a long time. If i do I only use the floatant my supplier makes. all natural and permantly floats a fly..I cn only get a few dozen a year.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

this stuff work very very well. Down side is it cant get too hot. it does not effect it, just the resin gets all over stuff. Mucilin : Cabela's