threader boxes

tthrower

Reaction score
anyone that uses the treader boxes that can give me their opinion? the threaders seem like a handy way to feed the tippet through the fly

yatahey

Reaction score
I use them for my #20 thru #24 flies. It's a quick way to tie on small flies. I've heard the magnetic tippet threader thingy works well too.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
They do work well, and for many of us over 50 they're a God send for flies in the 20's.

You can also just buy the threaders if you don't want to spring for the box.

devon flyfisher

Reaction score
They do work well, and for many of us over 50 they're a God send for flies in the 20's.

You can also just buy the threaders if you don't want to spring for the box.
Spot on with that reply, my eyesight was fine until i hit 48 yrs, then i had problems fly tying, and so followed tying on the fly at the start of the season following my winter tying exploits.
I sell plenty of the above boxes and as a guide they do cut down the time tying on a fly.
I just load them up before i go out, you know what flies to pre-thread if you fish the rivers on a regular basis.
If you get it wrong just flip down your magnifiers on your cap!
Cheers
Richard

Jimmie

Reaction score
I'm going to take Yat and Mark's idea and just save my one threader box for the tiny ones. I don't use the threaders in it now plus what I am using it for (variety) the threaders are always bent. Plus, IMO they are way over-priced. I'd opt for the magnetic 20/20 threader, plus a focal flip for your hat then it doesn't matter what fly box you need next.
Note: the magnetic 20/20 isn't as big as it looks in the catalog pictures. Mine is on a retractor on my vest.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I use the C&F box shown. Not only does it make threading small flies easier
on the eyes, it helps enormously when cold hands just don't function as well.
Along with a Ty-Rite thingy, teeney flies are a breeze now! I use the Ty-Rite
for anything size #14 and smaller, and don't know how I ever did without it.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
. . . Along with a Ty-Rite thingy, teeney flies are a breeze now! I use the Ty-Rite for anything size #14 and smaller, and don't know how I ever did without it.
Frank, I've been looking at the Ty-Rite also, but was wondering if they did much that a small pair of forceps couldn't do as well. Also, as I understand it, the Ty-Rites (at least those from L.L. Bean) come in two sizes - "Senior" and "Junior". Any idea how well the "Junior" size would work with mid-#20-sized midges/nymphs?

As to the C&F threaders, they work great, but as mentioned don't last forever and are relatively expensive. If you're not into another fly-box, C&F make several tools that incorporate one threader - a nipper and a pair of tweezers (forget the tweezers - being plastic, way too flexible to hold small flies). The C&F threaders come in various sizes and lengths - Blue for standard, pink for midges, and red for ultra-midges. Most of these come in two different lengths - short and long, but short works just as well as long and doesn't bend out of shape as much. Although I am usually fishing tiny flies in tailwaters so would use the ultra-midge (red) size, I don't see much point in buying the larger sizes, since of course the ultra-midge will fit into larger hook eyes, but not vice-versa.

I also have one of the 20/20 magnetic threaders, which work great, although on tiny flies (#24+) I wonder how well it would work (need to check it out; if I'm wrong, will report back).

FrankB2

Reaction score
The Ty-Rite can be attached to a zinger, and still swivel. Spinning it in your finger results in a very quick number of twists in the line. I only have the Junior model, and it holds everything from #24 to #14 flies, and holds them tight. The hooked wire comes out when the plunger is depressed, and retracts tightly until released. It's much lighter than forceps, and there's zero chance of an accidental opening. I think it was a brilliant idea.

I've had one threader break during the past two years. It might have been as a result of using a heavy leader with a small eye/small fly, but the wire split
at the very tip. I wouldn't recommend threading 4X tippet on a #20 fly, but other than that, they've worked fine for me. I would love to trade all of my small eye hooks for large eye hooks, but don't see how that'd work. Guess I'll tie them all up, and aim for bushes and trees. That'll give me the excuse to buy all large eye #18 hooks. :D

I have one of the magnetic threaders, but have only tried it at home. It's in my large gear bag, but has never made it to my vest. I blame the Ty-Rite for
that. The Ty-Rite allows me to steady my hand enough to thread a #18 BWO in seconds, and then spin the knot.