The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM

jsmrider is on a distinguished road
Default Waterproof camera/video recorder

I'm in need of something waterproof to drop in my pack or pocket while fishing. I don't want to spend too much, maybe $200 but certainly don't want something that won't take resonable quality pictures maybe even videos. I have fine camera to use off the water but am afraid to take it aboard a boat.

Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Steve
Old 06-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waterproof camera/video recorder

Steve: Several forum members have purchased water proof digital cameras. There was a thread posted awhile back you might be interested in reading:
waterproof digital camera

Larry
Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Got my son a Pentax Optio WS80 for Christmas. Excellent camera for the money. Also takes some great video, but you need to make sure you've got adequate storage.

Here are some examples:
Click the image to open in full size.

Right now they are on sale at Amazon for $100 bucks - about half what I paid at Christmas.

Good luck in your search.

Kelly.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM

arkman is on a distinguished road

Kodak makes a waterproof video camera. I think its about $130, it takes still photos too, but I'm not sure about the still photo quality. The video seem good for a camera like that.

I don't own it but I'm considering it. Just a thought
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Got my son a Pentax Optio WS80 for Christmas. Excellent camera for the money. Also takes some great video, but you need to make sure you've got adequate storage. Right now they are on sale at Amazon for $100 bucks - about half what I paid at Christmas.
Great pictures, Kelly. Adequate extra storage is really cheap now, so that's no detriment. I've got a W60 which I've really been pleased with also. Can you tell me what the optical zoom ratio is on the W80? As I recall, the W60 has a 5:1 optical zoom ratio.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Great pictures, Kelly. Adequate extra storage is really cheap now, so that's no detriment. I've got a W60 which I've really been pleased with also. Can you tell me what the optical zoom ratio is on the W80? As I recall, the W60 has a 5:1 optical zoom ratio.
It is the same on the WS80. I've been looking at the W60, are you pleased with what it can do? I like the macro feature on the W60 over the W80 and the WS80 since I do a lot of fly photography.

Kelly.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use an old Pentax W10 camera. The newer generations are nicer.

The latest rage in the action sports market that is now catching on to the fly fishing industry is the GoPro cameras. They are waterproof cameras that come in HD and standard format models that will shoot still shots and video. They can be mounted anywhere by using specialty kits. My boss bought the mount kit and installed a couple of mounts on his jetboat. There are mounts for bicycle handlebars, helmets, and surfboards.

In the "Waterslide Wipeout" episode of MythBusters, Adam Savage used a helmet mounted HD Hero when he launched himself off of a hillside waterslide into a lake. In the hyperlink provided, you will see the camera mounted to Adam Savage's helmet.

The basic GoPro costs $99.
The HD Hero model costs $259.

MP
Old 06-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
It is the same on the WS80. I've been looking at the W60, are you pleased with what it can do? I like the macro feature on the W60 over the W80 and the WS80 since I do a lot of fly photography.

Kelly.
I've been pretty happy with it, Kelly. The quality of the pictures has been excellent - in fact, better than I expected. Macros have also been good (it has two Macro modes, one regular & the other 1 CM distance). When I bought it a year or so ago, I spent a lot of time researching. Two things that were important to me (aside from being waterproof) was small form-factor and having some optical zoom, and the W60 filled those needs fine for me. At the time, the W60 was the only waterproof camera with optical zoom, although I understand that others have now come along.

Neil
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM

nicolej is on a distinguished road

For those who interested in different water adventure they really need a waterproof case camera so that they can still record videos even in underwater and that was really interesting.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

We are big fans of Nikon so we opted for the Aw-100 and we love it. The macro is pretty impressive for a rugged camera and it is FAST. Auto focus is super fast as well as start up so you can almost instantly snap a picture after you hit the power button. That is important to me because I want the fish back in the water asap. One other feature I really like is it has an adapter so I can put lens filters such as a UV filter on it. This is great because we chase albies, shark and bluefin so it is nice to have out on the ocean.