The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough
Default stripping glove or finger guard

I was reading some posts and someone mentioned their finger being "chewed up" after a day of fishing with their sharkskin line.. made me think about some finger guards I have seen on different sites...

I did some looking and the prices seem to be crazy to me... $6.00 for two or three finger guards you are bound to lose.. and 15.00 - 20.00 for a stripping glove...
... sooooooooo

I was thinking.. make one yourself.. but question is HOW?

Has anyone made their own stripping gloves or finger guards and if so would you care to share that information??

MacFly
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: stripping glove or finger guard

Mac,

Lots of people here use regular medical type adhesive tape. A few years back I got a really deep line burn / cut from either my line or backing I don't know which. After that I simply kept my fingers from contacting any line when a big boy takes off down the river.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2010, 09:21 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

JMac real men don't wear girly fishing gloves. If you get a rash from stripping in Sharkskin, better go back to the Barbie or Sponge Bob closed face spinning outfits.

And the way Ard got his finger cut, that's a trophy burn. Something to be proud of.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Mojo,

Yeah I gotta agree, that was a big King. You can't weigh the ones that get away but I'm thinking 45 - 55 lbs. I was about 500 yards from the salt and at first he just sulked on the bottom of the very fast run I hooked him in. Then he did the porpoise thing a couple times and I put the rod to him. That's when the fish took off like a shot headed back toward the Inlet. I have almost 300 yds. of backing on the reel and he darn near spooled me out. I did that drunken, stumbling run through the cobblestone trying to catch up but............... In the end I had to point the rod at the line and snap the leader.

It wasn't until awhile later that I realized that I dam near sawed off a digit at the joint.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
JMac real men don't wear girly fishing gloves. If you get a rash from stripping in Sharkskin, better go back to the Barbie or Sponge Bob closed face spinning outfits.

And the way Ard got his finger cut, that's a trophy burn. Something to be proud of.
and this comment is coming from a guy that uses skull and crossbone material??? .. (but love the rod thats in that rod sock) ..

but seriously.. I know I have gotten cuts in the old days of spinning and bait casting gear.. but havent been able to afford sharkskin ... yet... was just curious if anyone had an idea of how to make finger slips ... and that was based on a post from another site..

MacFly

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Mojo,

Yeah I gotta agree, that was a big King. You can't weigh the ones that get away but I'm thinking 45 - 55 lbs. I was about 500 yards from the salt and at first he just sulked on the bottom of the very fast run I hooked him in. Then he did the porpoise thing a couple times and I put the rod to him. That's when the fish took off like a shot headed back toward the Inlet. I have almost 300 yds. of backing on the reel and he darn near spooled me out. I did that drunken, stumbling run through the cobblestone trying to catch up but............... In the end I had to point the rod at the line and snap the leader.

It wasn't until awhile later that I realized that I dam near sawed off a digit at the joint.
since I am the novice here I ask a lot of questions.. most are just out of curiosity...

now as far as that fish you are talking about.. Ive never gotten close to catching anything that size.. Im afraid Id of just stood there and it would of spooled me before I had any idea it was happening...

MacFly
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A few straight days of wet hands and and sand coated line and you're going to get a cut.... I do anyways
I use the the redneck bandaid..... duct tape
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM

I understand the duct tape or the surgical tape... its quick and easy... but does your line get "gunky" from the adhesives after using it for a while??

MacFly
Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

MacFly, just a few wraps of medical (or athletic) tape, or a thin strip of duct tape around the index finger of your off-hand can help prevent cuts, and won't get you line gunky at all.

When I get them it's usually after fishing a lot on an extended trip in SW when wading (and fingers start getting soft after being in wet), or when I'm using a shooting head with a thin running line--- I tend to get them in the crease/joint of my finger, and it can hurt like hell. Some surfcasters along the coast will use tape on their finger too especially when using braid.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Mark... another newbie question...

I was under the impression that the glove or guard is used on the rod hand.. not the off hand... all the pictures I see show it with the line being stripped across a finger of the hand holding the rod?? am I missing something here??

MacFly
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Mac,

If I were going to tape some fingers they would be on my rod hand. When I got that burn / cut, I had positioned the line under the fingers of my rod hand and was palming with my left. The fish easily overpowered the drag of the reel I was using and I was employing every means to try to slow it. I'm going to take a guess here and say that I think most of us know better than to get our line hand mixed up with the line when a fish takes off. I was routing the line under my index and middle fingers in order to create a sharper angle than that of a strait run to the stripping guide and thus creating a little additional resistance. (Ouch)

My answer to all of this was not tape, gloves, or any other apparel for the hands. I bought two Orvis Odyssey big game reels and last year a Hardy Cascapedia 8/9. Both of these bruisers have a drag that can snap a 25 lb leader and there is no need to get your fingers into the works.

Ard