The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:36 PM

wvfishn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: colorado pontoon boat

Well...just called customer service at Classic Accessories, and since the boat is brand new and under warranty, they are sending me all of the items that came defective. Of course no charge for anything, just a wait time of 5-7 business days. Can't complain about that. Great customer service.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wvfishn,

I tried to figure out what valves you have in your boat but couldn't find the information. The best way to test a pontoon or valve is to half fill your bathtub and put a little air in the tube. You can create pressure by gathering/pressing on the pontoon. Just get every inch of the boat under water and apply pressure. If you have a leak it will give you bubbles.

I think you bladders are vinyl and will work well but won't have the longevity of polyurethane bladders. If you valves leak sometimes flipping the valve with your finger will stop the leak. When you store your boat don't fold the pontoon/bladders. If you can leave just a little air in them it will keep from getting creases in the bladder material. If you can't leave a little air in the pontoon/bladder it is better to roll them up instead of folding them. If you just have to fold them do it loosely and don't put anything on top of them.

Frank
Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks Frank. Tried the trick with the valves and what Libsam posted. Still no fix after that. Classic Accessories said they don't want the defective items back, so I'm going to keep them and repair them (if possible) to use as backups. I really appreciate all that you guys went through to help me. You can only imagine how frustrating it is to order something new and it comes in damaged to the point you can't use it. You wait for the shipping time, the excitement of a new toy, put it together and poof...you start wondering if you just wasted your time and money. I haven't lost hope yet. I still have my ODC 816 and the new items being sent to me to fix this Colorado.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

I have a Classic Accessories Rogue pontoon boat and had a similar problem when i first got it. After much investigation i found the o-ring for the valve where it screws into the pontoon wasn't sealing properly. I pulled them out and gave them a close inspection, both looked fine and where they seat on the pontoon looked fine but they still kept passing. So i grabbed some vasoline and lubed up the o-ring before reinstalling and haven't had trouble since. Might be worth a double check if you haven't already. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is a question I have overlooked; what did you use when inflating the raft?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There is a question I have overlooked; what did you use when inflating the raft?
Good point Hardy...I had a friend that bought a New Bladderless pontoon. Now these things CAN hold 8lbs of air. He was bragging about the new little compressor he bought with built in gauge. After blowing two seams out of one pontoon, he finally came to the conclusion, the pump lies.

I always use an LVM pump and then top off by hand and ALWAYS use a gauge as it is impossible for me to tell I have exactly the same air in both pontoons, and like car tires, I think it does make a difference.

Like Frank mentioned, don't FOLD, Specially vinyl as it is more delicate than Urethane. Roll if you must compact size it.

I live in about 4,300 ft elevation, but I travel 20 minutes and I am at 7,800, so for me - it is a must to partially inflate for the road.

Sounds to me like these particular boats have a reoccurring problem...if it were me, I would return for a refund. I will add, I have heard the welds on the frame can fail as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

The only other recommendation I can add to the fine advice already posted, is for pontoons, do not use a $1.25 tire pressure gauge you buy at Walmart.

Get a good low pressure gauge specifically designed for inflatibles, or you can possibly use a guage designed for ATV tires.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks guys. I tried all you have mentioned and still no success. The manufacturer is sending me another set of valves and I'm going to try them. I took Hardyreels advice and found a local raft manufacturer (not retailer) who actually builds custom inflatables. He uses Halkey Robert valves in all of his and said the male ends will accept the female summits. He told me that if the new valves that Classic Accessories is sending me don't work, come up and see him and he'll do whatever it takes to get me on the water. He said by the sounds of my problem, he's 99% sure he can fix it with the HR valves. By the way, I put the pontoons in the swimming pool with me and tested all four valves that are suspects of leaking. All four are leaking air from around the cap. This means that this an internal valve defect. Air is seeping from the bottom and the fail safe seal around the cap isn't stopping the air either. I'm trying to get this fixed at least until my fishing trip in July so I can use the boat for it. Afterwards, I will decide to either keep it, or get something else. Thanks for all of your advice.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Well, I ended this saga today and returned the boat after one grueling month of giving an honest attempt to fix it . I've come to the conclusion that the fabric skins were between the valve and valve seat which acted as a gasket. Everyone knows that fabric is not a good gasket when needing an air tight seal. No matter what I tried, both pontoons would not keep air over night. Ten minutes after my credit card was credited, I called Creek Company and ordered their XR 9. I got a great deal on it at $675 with shipping. This boat listed on their site for $1,200. I looked at the fishcats and other models, but since my other boat gave me 7 years of pure enjoyment, I decided to stick with them. Thanks for all of your advice. By the way, I have two good bladders, four summit 2 valves, a cargo basket, both left and right main frames (what your oars attach to), and two foot rests if anyone is interested. Not sure what all models the parts will fit, but they are available.