The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM

wvfishn is on a distinguished road
Default colorado pontoon boat

I am new to the forum and had some questions about the colorado pontoon boats. Can someone tell me where to look on this forum, or if this is the place to ask these type of questions, please answer me if anyone owning this toon had problems with loosing air quickly. I have checked the valves and no leaks, and topped off with air, but overnight loose enough air that I must re-inflate. Is this normal, or should I consider this it's nature. I also have a creek company odc 816 which I've ownded 7 years and have never experienced this problem with it. I know temp has a lot to do with the pressure, but it's over 70 degrees in my garage and I had to top off each pontoon about 6 pumps on the old hand pump after one night. Thanks in advance for the responses. I have an outing planned for next month and would like to get this in the water.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: colorado pontoon boat

Your first post, welcome to the froum......................

I don't own that brand but do have two Fishcat boats. You need to check your local business listings for raft and kayak retailers. Hopefully you will find a good retailer who services pontoons. One of mine has a leak in one of the valve seals. I am dropping it off Monday at Alaska Raft & Kayak for repair.

Good luck,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Thanks...Just got this yesterday and waiting until Monday to contact manufacturer. Thought maybe someone is having the same problem or if this is normal for these bladders. My odc has been inflated for nearly a week and still hasn't lost any air and it's over 7 years old. These things lost nearly a pound over night. I checked the valves carefully and there is no sign of any leaks. I feel that the bladders are too breathable. If manufacturer can't help me, then I'm sending this one down the road and buying a second creek company boat. Not very satisfied with the quality so far.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Where do you use the boats?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 AM

About 80% lakes, 20% calm rivers around my home in WV. Usually from April to October. Outside of that, I wade or use my Tracker. Just posted this a few minutes ago, my brother and I are going to revisit an old camp we use to go to on the eastern panhandle of WV floating 12 miles on some great smallmouth water. This river can produce class I and II rapids which I never had the boats in before. We used to do it in a canoe and I thought the toons will be fun. I'll post some pics when we get back next month.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM

libsam is on a distinguished road

I have a Colorado pontoon. Had it for about 3 months now. After about 2 months I started having a problem similar to yours but only with one pontoon. I fixed it by completely defating the one side and taking the valve out and then reseating it and reinflating. It's been 10 days now and so far it hasn't leaked again. I have contacted customer service on a minor detail and they were more than helpful.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

PV=nRT I think that the universal gas law applies.

MP
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply libsam. Going to go try your advice shortly. Since I've wrote this last night, I added more air and when I got back from catfishing this evening, I've already lost that air plus a little more. This is in both pontoons. I'll try your advice and if this doesn't work, then I'll see what Classic Accessories has to say Monday.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Redneck Engineer mode on:
I've eyeballed the various pontoon one man floats- one in craigslist for sale with "leak". Thought about inflating it, finding leak with soapy water trick, then putting some 'green slime' type sealant in rotating to the pre-marked leak spot allowing the latex to seep into the leak.
Bad idea, do you guys inflate, deflate these things constantly? I figured once inflated it would ride in my van like that till winter, no?
thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM

libsam is on a distinguished road

I inflate/deflate mine all the time since I carry it in my Pickup. The bed is only 6 1/2 feet long so I have to partially deflate to load it in the pickup. Some other things to consider about leaving it fully inflated all the time are temperature and elevation. The warmer it gets inside a pickup bed or van the the more the pressure builds in the pontoon. Same goes for elevation. When I travel up on the mountain I always deflate part way so as not to burst the bladders. I learned that the hard way with my belly boat.