The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM

acoustic is on a distinguished road
Default Water Filter?

Hi Everyone,

I plan on taking a several mile hike in trip to the Golden Trout Wilderness in the near future, one that will certain require lots of water or some type of water filtration system.

What are some recommendations for filtration systems that are easily portable? I know it's probably not likely, but is there something that might be small enough to fit in a fishing vest? I don't need anything fancy, just something that will prevent me from getting sick and isn't a huge pain to use. Budget is kinda an issue here.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water Filter?

There are lots of filters out there that would work for you. I'd check products by MSR and Katadyn. Keep in mind that you will need a water bottle to filter water into so if bulk is an issue, you might want to consider one of the combination bottle/ filters. They are less expensive and readily available (I've even seen them at WalMart).
Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

you also might want to consider the Chlorine Dioxide or Iodine tablets if weight is an issue. They will take time to react with the water, but will take up basically no space in your vest. Katadyn makes some good tablets. I have used both on Elk Hunts. The filter takes longer to pump water through to your bottle or bladder but has no effect on taste. The tablets take no room and add no weight. Just some things to consider.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As already mentioned, I use a Katadyn bottle / filter combo and have used it for years. These are good if your not the type that requires a bunch of water during a day. There are electronic gizmo's on the market now (check REI) that you just stick into a container of water and zap it to kill everything that is bad in there. The type I have is a good simple & easy way to have a safe drink.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
As already mentioned, I use a Katadyn bottle / filter combo and have used it for years. These are good if your not the type that requires a bunch of water during a day. There are electronic gizmo's on the market now (check REI) that you just stick into a container of water and zap it to kill everything that is bad in there. The type I have is a good simple & easy way to have a safe drink.
About the tablets - the iodide doesn't kill crypto right? What about chlorine? It would definitely be more convenient, but idk how safe it'll be.

For the bottle/filter combo, I was look at those but saw a bunch of reviewers say that it filtered VERY SLOWLY, and you really had to use a lot of effort to suck out even the tiniest amount of water. Is that your experience? I really don't want to spend more than $20 too if possible, but don't want absolute junk and definitely don't want to get sick.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM

cahill1979 is on a distinguished road

Well for 20 bucks you will have to go with the tablets. Chlorine dioxidevwould be the best
Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

This is double your budget, but a good way to go IMO. I keep mine empty and on a "D" ring on my sling pack so no extra weight. When time to drink just fill it with the cold stream water.
Katadyn MyBottle Water Filter - Free Shipping for Members at REI.com
Yes it is hard to squeeze, but not bad.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
This is double your budget, but a good way to go IMO. I keep mine empty and on a "D" ring on my sling pack so no extra weight. When time to drink just fill it with the cold stream water.
Katadyn MyBottle Water Filter - Free Shipping for Members at REI.com
Yes it is hard to squeeze, but not bad.
I think I have to consider it at least. Reviews range from not needing to squeeze too bad to barely being able to get a drop. Seems like a gamble...
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mine is the old fashioned style (not like the one in the link) it takes a firm squeeze to get the water through the filter but you don't have to be Hercules.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Water is pretty important stuff.

Save some money and buy a real filter. I have one of these and it's pretty dang good.

Katadyn Hiker PRO Water Filter - Free Shipping for Members at REI.com