The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road
Default Low budget wading boots

I am looking for a pair of wading boots that won't break the bank.
Cabela's has their ultralight 2 on sale for $50 which seems like a great deal but I don't want to buy **** either.
I have also been looking at Frogg Toggs Anura for $80.
Anyone have any experience with either of these or can recommend something else that's under $100.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:09 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Low budget wading boots

You have a Wholesale Sports there.. see if they still have some closeouts.. ours did last week.. I htink they had a few styles of boots in the $50-$100 range. Size seleciton was limited
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

I want to be able to purchase from Cabela's or Bass Pro since I have gift cards to both.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have been using a pair of the low end Korkers 89.99 and they are into the third year. Problem was I had to spring the extra 30.00 for the rubber with studs soles for them. They came with felt & no stud rubber but I need the studs so....................

Don't cut the price corner too close because having comfort where it counts is important. I would also be sure to get the size right or you will be sending them back and forth till you get the fit. Wading shoes are one thing I buy on site because nothing beats trying them on and walking around the shop a bit.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookworm View Post
I want to be able to purchase from Cabela's or Bass Pro since I have gift cards to both.
What about the 6 pay plan from bass pro? Maybe you could get something better paying it out.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:59 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookworm View Post
Cabela's has their ultralight 2 on sale for $50 which seems like a great deal but I don't want to buy **** either.
I have 2 pairs of these (1 for warm weather, 1 larger for cold water) I wear the cold water pair 15 to 20 days a year for the past 2 years and have had no problems. I hope they keep making them for when I do need another pair. I am not sure how to qualify this, but I am a big guy but not real hard on my boots. I do try hard to take care of them and always clean them daily when being used.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Greys G-Series Wading Boots - Very lightweight. I am using these now as my non-studded boots for times I when I go around in my friends' drift or jetboats. At $79, these boots make a great value. These boots are my top selling model at the shop.

One to thing to note. The G-Series Boots come in UK sizes. The UK size is one size smaller than a USA size. A UK size 8 is a USA size 9.

Dennis

Edit: Sounding like a broken record here, but I highly suggest trying on boots with the socks and waders that you plan on using. You will know for sure that you have the right fit.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-04-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added something
Old 06-05-2011, 09:37 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I bought a pair of Chotas for 50 bucks. I'm very please with them.

Randy
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis

Edit: Sounding like a broken record here, but I highly suggest trying on boots with the socks and waders that you plan on using. You will know for sure that you have the right fit.
Not a broken record at all. Wading boots are the ONLY thing I will not consider purchasing without having tried them on first. Too late to find out the 'fit' sucks when you're sitting on the river bank.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

last summer i borrowed a pair of the studded cabelas ul boots and thought they were great. that being said, i probably lucked out on the sizing, as i had never tried them on previous to my trip. in my case i wear a size 11 shoe and the wading boots were a 12 and seemed to fit fine.
for 50 bucks, id say its a good deal. if they dont fit send em back and theyll send you either a refund or a different size.

casey

ARFE