The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon vs Fish Cat 4-LCS

I'd like to hear from you fellow fly anglers, which one is your favorite and why? I'm thinking the Fish Cat is the best of both worlds in a way since you sit on top of the water (no need for waders during summer) and you don't need to row. I own a pontoon and it is a bit hard to maneuver...just trying to figure out if I should get me the fish cat for smaller lakes.
Thanks in advance.
Martin
Old 06-09-2011, 11:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Pontoon vs Fish Cat 4-LCS

ive owned the fishcat 4 lcs for a few years now and really like it. its light, well designed, and well priced. i fish mainly small lakes and bays with it. the only beef i have w/ the fc is the stripping apron. for some unknown reason, outcast replaced the buckle lock system with a new "slide in" configuration. not my favorite IMHO.
do your self a favor and go buy a pair of water shoes, it think mine are bodyglove, that will fit your wader booties. then a pair of scuba fins to fit over the water shoes. like night and day plus no wear and tear on your wading boots.
as a final thought, its a fine boat and i would endorse it fully.

one other note: if youre gonna get a rod holder, try and find one with a single strap. due to the large cargo pockets on the tube, space for accessories is limited.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Martin,
The key thing between both boats is how much water do you want to cover. Small lakes are great to kick around in with a float tube. Any more than 40 acres, I'd rather be rowing.

Dennis
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM

The good thing is that I already own a pontoon (and trolling motor) so in case of a large lake I can use that one but there are some small lakes around home that I could fish on a tube. I own a U shaped, (I don't like waders) so I was thinking about this one, that way I just need to get hip waders in case it is too cold.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you wear hip waders on an Outcast float tube, you will get some water down the leggings. There is always some splash factor, and the foam seat sags to some degree. I own a Super Fat Cat, and I always get some water onto my seat.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm glad to inform you guys that I was able to get my fish cat and I'm really happy with it. I'll report as soon as I can get it wet. Thanks everybody for your help.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin trj View Post
I'm glad to inform you guys that I was able to get my fish cat and I'm really happy with it. I'll report as soon as I can get it wet. Thanks everybody for your help.
looking forward to your reviews!

casey

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

would love to hear your opinion on the stripping apron. really not a sound design IMHO??

casey

ARFE
Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin trj View Post
I'd like to hear from you fellow fly anglers, which one is your favorite and why? I'm thinking the Fish Cat is the best of both worlds in a way since you sit on top of the water (no need for waders during summer) and you don't need to row. I own a pontoon and it is a bit hard to maneuver...just trying to figure out if I should get me the fish cat for smaller lakes.
Thanks in advance.
Martin
The NFO/Scadden Renegade (or any of the frameless boats) eat's Outcast's for lunch. You get the REAL best of both worlds with one.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The NFO/Scadden Renegade (or any of the frameless boats) eat's Outcast's for lunch. You get the REAL best of both worlds with one.
I get a chance to "test" a lot of different models. I have to agree with mojo. I think the Renegade is the best of both worlds. Great size for a boat and not much bigger than some of these newer float tubes. Plus I like the built in oars and a storage deck behind me, and gear pockets. its a little more than the outcast but how much do you spend when you buy two boats to fit your needs?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Funny thing but I traded some fly fishing gear for the pontoon and the float was also a trade so I didn't spend a lot of money. Now I have a pontoon and the fish cat. The only thing I need is more time to fish haha.