The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 05:45 PM

rdf1212 is on a distinguished road
Default Pontoon Boats

I decided that I am going to buy a pontoon boat, but haven't decided what brand I am going to get.I just would like it to be able to carry two rods comfortably and sit high. So, I was going to see what everyone's experience on here with them was. I have looked at the outcast but they seem to be higher priced than the Trout unlimited boats I saw. I don't know if thats because they are better quality or just priced higher. Thanks for the information!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pontoon Boats

Get one with a Urethane bladder instead of the PVC and you are going to be paying more (at first). The Urethane is less suseptable to temp and alt. change and they will last longer then PVC.
Top name boats with the U bladders, Bucks, Outcast and Scadden to name three.
Plus the outer cover needs to be strong. Aluminum frame a big plus (weight factor)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni
Get one with a Urethane bladder instead of the PVC and you are going to be paying more (at first). The Urethane is less suseptable to temp and alt. change and they will last longer then PVC.Top name boats with the U bladders, Bucks, Outcast and Scadden to name three.Plus the outer cover needs to be strong. Aluminum frame a big plus (weight factor)
Thanks, I live in Arizona so I definetally need something that will last well in temprature. But after looking at the prices for one with a urethane they seem a little out of my price range. How much worse do the viynl pontoons hold up?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Get a name brand (one with some kind of warranty, not that you would need it, but shows they believe in there gear).
The U is more expensive, but they last forever. I know a lot of people that have the PVC and they do just fine.
Again Outcast or Bucks.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Hey, I know you! I tried to hook you up with a boat a few months ago!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 PM

yeah a float tube. It turned out a freind of mine had one he didn't use and let me try it out. Scared me to death on marshall lake(az)! So a pontoon boat is the way I've decided to go. Just haven't decided yet on which one. I have basically narrowed it down to either the fish cat cougar, fish cat streamer XL, or the fishcat 9. I want to get it before the second week in November because I want to fish that weekend!
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf1212
yeah a float tube. It turned out a freind of mine had one he didn't use and let me try it out. Scared me to death on marshall lake(az)! So a pontoon boat is the way I've decided to go. Just haven't decided yet on which one. I have basically narrowed it down to either the fish cat cougar, fish cat streamer XL, or the fishcat 9. I want to get it before the second week in November because I want to fish that weekend!
Good choices, but if possible, I would go with the 9 ft. Takes bad weather better and if you ever want to try rivers, should work great!.