The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need a Recommendation on a Good Float Tube

It looks like I'm going to be chasing trout and smallmouths around on some of the ponds and small lakes up here in Maine this Summer, so I need to get a good float tube.

I have absolutely no experience at all with them, so I'm starting from scratch. I figure that most of these ponds are going to be in the 5-20 acre size range and many of them will be choked with lilly pads and other water plants.

What do you recommend for a tube and for "essential" peripherals?

Thanks,

Pocono
Old 06-19-2011, 09:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Need a Recommendation on a Good Float Tube

outcast fishcat 4. great tube

ARFE
Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

When I broke into the float tube world, my priorities were big enough to float my fat butt and not break the bank. I decided to check Sierra Trading Post because they have great deals and got a nice one for a really good price. I love mine. I'm sure you will enjoy them also.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Pocono,
Are you dead set on a tube? If not....I would consider going with a kick boat, or at the very least a U-Tube.

Round tubes can be much more cumbersome to get around in, and if you've got weed growth your gonna have a tougher time motating with your legs down deeper getting tangled up.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

Outcast fishcat 4. I'm getting one as soon as I can. Right now I'm using a u shaped one which is ok for still waters.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

rocknrone is on a distinguished road

I have a round tube, caddis u tube, and a fish cat 4.

Round tubes suck. They sit low in the water, slow to manuver, a pain to get in and out of.
You can get them used for $25 around here.

U tubes are better in every way. If the ponds have moss around the edges a u tube is what you want. I got my caddis used for $50.

Fish cat 4 is the cadillac of float tubes. Cuts through the water better, sits a bit higher, carries extra gear like rods, cooler of goodies, etc. The seat is 2" thick foam, enables an all day trip on your back side. Thicker bladders, better valves. I paid full pop for mine, I couldn't find one used.

If your fishing bigger lakes skip the tube and get a pontoon. Local craigslist has them from $150 to $800.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

The hottest new one at our club is the Scadden Outlaw Escape.
The oars make a huge difference if the wind comes up.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice looking tube/toon, Jimmie.

It sort of lifts the bar though; from the $100-200 category to the the $500-800 category. I'm not sure that I'll need oars to poke around the small ponds up here; but I do like having the option.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Pocono,
Are you dead set on a tube? If not....I would consider going with a kick boat, or at the very least a U-Tube.

Round tubes can be much more cumbersome to get around in, and if you've got weed growth your gonna have a tougher time motating with your legs down deeper getting tangled up.
Fysh,

No, I was always considering a U-tube; not a round one. The Fish Cat 4 had my full attention, but now my "friend" Jimmie has dangled an attractive hybrid option; the Outlaw Escape.....................

Pocono
Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 AM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Figure I can add this here since it is mostly on topic. I have wondered if a float tube would be a good way to get past the deeper parts of the creek I am going to be fishing, most of it is wadable but a being able to float over the sections deeper the armpits would be nice, has anyone used a tube like this? Iam also looking at inflatable kayaks, so I dont have to hual my 14 fter down the creek
mike
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
Figure I can add this here since it is mostly on topic. I have wondered if a float tube would be a good way to get past the deeper parts of the creek I am going to be fishing, most of it is wadable but a being able to float over the sections deeper the armpits would be nice, has anyone used a tube like this? Iam also looking at inflatable kayaks, so I dont have to hual my 14 fter down the creek
mike

maybe some of these...

Click the image to open in full size.