The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Filson Strap Vest?

I've really been considering buying a chest pack, but all the ones I've liked have been more than I'm willing to pay for them. Recently though for about half of full retail I've gotten a chance to buy a Filson Strap Vest from a club member (not foul weather model). They seem like a good compromise between a full vest and a chest pack. I like my vests, but sometimes I feel overloaded. I think I could still use my water blader with the filson even though is not "made for it?"

Those that are familliar with the Filson strap vests what do you all think?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Filson Strap Vest?

For what it's worth, I love mine for atlantic salmon fishing. I fit 4 large Wheatleys in it, a couple spools of tippet, a batch of leaders, some bug spray and sunblock. I clip a zinger with a clipper to one suspender, and clamp a pair of hemostats on the other, and away I go. I have a light rain jacket that i put in the pouch in the back. Love it, nice and light, and very comfortable. I have it on in my avatar. I have since taken the wool fly patch off.
Gary
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been using the waxed cotton one since the late 90's. Here and everywhere else it has been my warm weather way to carry some stuff. The pack and pouch on the back is handy. I don't like it over a jacket though, the shoulder straps seem to encourage a jacket to leak where the straps are pressing on it. This may not be a problem for some because my jackets are old Lewis Creek & Filson wax finish fishing coats.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Love mine only vest I have had for about 10 years now sun faded looks better all the time R Reese