The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM

herroncobbler is on a distinguished road
Default recommend a wading jacket

I am looking for a new wading jacket and was trying to decide between Simms and Patagonia. Money isn't much of an issue; I generally like to buy once if I can help it.

Looking for something mostly for late fall - winter - early spring in the southeast. Something I can stand in for hours in a cold downpour. Will also use from time to time out West in the spring/summer.

Have considered the Patagonia DWJ, Guidewater, and SST ($450 does seem steep - is it THAT good?) vs the Guide or G3 Guide from Simms.

Anybody have a view?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: recommend a wading jacket

Hello & welcome to the forum,

Yes I have a view on this issue, I'm not a guy who ignores the fact that quality outdoor gear is worth it's price but............. When I began shopping for a new jacket (well over a year ago) I ran into something regarding the pricing that made me stop and think. I was looking at the wide range of jackets offered by Simms and I'll keep this as simple as I can. I settled in looking at one that sold for 199.99 and another that sold for over 400. The problem arose when I began asking questions of the sales staff at the shop about the big difference in price between the two. I ask whether the 199.99 jacket would not keep me dry and was told "not as well as the G4 would". Here I started to have a problem, I started looking closely at the two garments. On examination I began to think that the 199.99 jacket was really sub standard in that for the money involved you didn't even get a double thick elbow material among other things. I started to think I was being worked by the manufacturer. By worked I mean that why, for 200 dollars would a jacket seem so disproportionately inferior to the one costing twice as much? I understand that for twice the price I should expect twice the quality but let's face a fact, 200 dollars is not exactly chump change. It makes no difference whether or not I can afford to pay the price, I was turned off by the obvious effort by the marketing people behind the jackets to push me toward the 400+ jacket. My thinking was and is that for 200 dollars you should be able to expect reasonable quality, performance and durability from a fishing jacket.

I have been wearing a Filson that I paid 200 dollars for almost 15 years ago and it is becoming thread bare with age. It has been good excepting the weather on Kodiak where winds and rain can make even a fresh waxed jacket leak at the seams. So I continued to look at jackets and finally bought a Red-Storm by Redington for 99 dollars. The jacket feels, fits, and looks better than the aforementioned 199.99 jacket and I expect it will work as well as any. I will put it to the test this year over on the island and if it preforms well I'll be posting praise. If it leaks badly, I'll just take it back for a refund and wax the old Filson again.

Bottom line, look at everything and make a decision based on hands on examination not marketing and sales pitches. I thought about ordering from web sites but nothing beats handling the garment, looking at the seams and trying them on.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a patagonia guidewater jacket, love it! been through full on thunder showers and it kept me dry the whole time. absolutely awesome coat, plus patagonias guarantee is one of the best out there.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I strongly suggest after you decide on a jacket or two you like as well as the other I would then look on Ebay. Last year I bought a new Simms Jacket on Ebay from a well respected seller for far below retail, possibly even below wholesale.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:31 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Look at the Redington Stratus II or Bow River jackets.

You can find lots of them on closeout right now.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Last winter, I had every intention on picking up Simms jacket but I chose the SST last winter. I'm very pleased with it thus far. Simplicity and versitility is what I like about it. Packs down small, light enough for year round use and keeps me dry. Layer right underneath and it can be worn year round. It kept me dry in downpours, snowstorms and really cut the wind and did all very well. I wish this jacket had pit zips, it would be perfect.

I can't speak to the G3 other than the fact that in general I've always been very pleased with Simms.

Try them on if you're able to do so and go with what fits best, you may find that you like one over the other.