The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Wading Staff

Looking to get a nice wading staff without breaking the bank. The hiking staff (sectional) I got from Wal-Mart was working but now its starting to collapse one section, then another when I put weight onto it. That's not good! Recommendations?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wading Staff

If you depend on it a lot I would go with Simms ($120) if not so much the Zepher from cabelas or sportsmans warehouse, amazon for $30-$40 Or make one from a nice hickory limb.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Some things are worth breaking the bank for. For me, a wading staff is one. Not sure if you'd classify it as a bank-breaker, but I love my Folstaf wading staff. Get the 3/4 inch and you have a sturdy and convenient piece of safety equipment. Tether it with a magnetic net holder and you're good to go.

Sep
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I'm with Sep regarding Folstaff. Wouldn't be without it. Shop around and you can usually find it for 100 bucks or a little less. I would NEVER use a telescoping staff....doomed to failure and a bad ride down the river.
Gary
Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I use a Ron Heart wooden wading staff. I'm of the school that metal makes noise that spooks fish. I know some people say wooden staffs get in the way however, I've used only wooden staffs for 25 years and simply do not find them unmanageable in any way and the fact that they don't make unnatural noises that fish are not used to far out way any insignificant nuisance I've encountered. They can be purchased via American Fly Fishings website and they offer Free Shipping and No Sales tax on all their website sales at AmericanFlyFishing.com: Ron Hart's Wading Staff, Accessories, Accessories Wading Accessories
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:08 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Another vote for Folstaf. You stated the knock-off you had was breaking on you. For the cost of a few of those you can get a staff that odds say won't break but if it does you're covered by a life time warranty.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I recommend a stick found in the woods. It costs about $120 less than the Simms version.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Folstaf that I use I bought for my father close to 25 years ago. When I inherited it back, I had to replace the shock cord, but it's served both of us well.
It's just one of the 1/2" models, but I've never felt under gunned. Most of the time it stays in the holster, but it's handy when you need it.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke em View Post
I recommend a stick found in the woods. It costs about $120 less than the Simms version.
Been there, done that.
The sticks work, sometimes. I've had them break when needed most and I've been in situations when I could really use one but none were around.
The loss of fishing time broken broken bones means much more to me than a mere $120.00 for the lifetime use of a staff that is both reliable and always at the ready.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Been there, done that.
The sticks work, sometimes. I've had them break when needed most and I've been in situations when I could really use one but none were around.
The loss of fishing time broken broken bones means much more to me than a mere $120.00 for the lifetime use of a staff that is both reliable and always at the ready.
If you find a good stick, and keep it, you can put some cord on it and it will last a really long time. With the cost of the cord, it'll be about $119.50 less than the Simms version.