The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Fly Dryer Box

I saw these in the new products section of an issue of "Fly Fisherman" I picked up the other day. http://www.anglingdesigns.com/DryTech.asp

They've incorporated a silica gel (stuff thats in the little pouches found in shoe boxes) cartridge into a fly box that will soak up moisture from flies after they're put back into the box. I doubt it would make a soaked dry ready to fish in any short amount of time, but would probably help to keep hooks from getting rusty when left in a box after fishing. I think this is a great idea to help preserve flies/hooks.

Opening up boxes to let flies dry after fishing will always work still better, but this seems like it would help when this step is neglected. It could be especially helpful for the leave-in-the car/truck box.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Dryer Box

Thanks Cliff, they look good on paper LOL. Should work great but, I am sure you will let us all know. I got a couple of those rust resistance boxes from Orvis and so far so good, but like you said, the flies won't dry out real quick.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:32 PM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough
Re: Fly Dryer Box

Sounds like a good idea and let us know how they work. I've had the old rusty hook problem more the once, like when your on the river and pull out a nice looking fly only to find out there is no hook point But I found out it has to do more with the quality of hook and ventilation of the fly box (hence opening of the fly boxes). I've switched over to the c&m design boxes which are water tight, but then that means no water in or out....But I usually don't have a problem anymore with rusted hooks because I rather crack open a well worn fly box then a well worn book, so my fly boxes are always being opened to make sure I have enuf supply and never run out, hhahaha, yeah call me strange, but it happens when you got the fly fishing bug and like to look at a well tied bugger
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Dryer Box

I don't have any of the boxes yet, and hadn't actually planned on getting any. Flambeau has some new boxes I do intend to try out, due to a connection with part of their sales force.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.