The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM

wvfishn is on a distinguished road
Default Recommendations on a new pontoon boat

Anyone have a suggestion on a what brand I should buy now. This is the updated or follow up, if you will, on my BRAND NEW Colorado pontoon that I haven't even got in the water. As you may of read or posted, my colorado had a lot of manufacturer issues including the major one of not holding air overnight. Tried everything that was suggested and even though Classic Accessories have great customer service sending me two new bladders with valves, the new set lost 1.2 psi in only two hours. This is a faster rate than the original bladders.
What good is customer service though when your product won't perform. I am beyond upset. I have spent more time screwing with these valves and bladders than I have ever had with my creek company. I will probably buy another creek company boat seeing my ODC 816 has lasted me 7 years and is still kicking. I think the major issues are the valves. Creek Co. uses boston valves and they seem to be great. I'm not sure the valves Class. Access. uses in the Colorado, but I'm pretty sure I'll shy away from those. I hate to be whiny about this, but this sucks to buy a new boat and not be able to use it especially when I have a fishing trip planned in three weeks with my brother and we planned on using these boats. Thanks in advanced for all of your suggestions.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recommendations on a new pontoon boat

I'd look seriously at the one Cabela's is selling with the 6' hard polyethylene pontoons. Not having to mess with a pump, valves, and leaks seems awfully appealing to me, if you can deal with the bulk. Its also got an aluminum frame, so rust won't be an issue.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Personally, I think that if you like the Creek pontoon you have, go with another; it's proven its self to you for 7 years. I have a WaterSkeeter that I've had for a long time; never had a problem with it.

On the 6 foot pontoons you mentioned Cliff; I don't think they'd be stable enough for the average size adult.

My $0.02 worth,

Dan
Old 06-17-2010, 12:41 PM

I've decided to go round 2 with customer service and they are sending me out new valves. I found out that these are summit valves. I have noticed that the slightest little touch to these valve springs (not up and down, but side to side) will release a little air. I have also noticed that the seal on the bottom of the valve has a little play in it and maybe some air is seeping through it as well. I definitely would think of having this problem with one valve, but now it's a problem with 4 valves. Maybe I just have bad luck. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure if you pump them up they shouldn't lose air overnight to the point you need to "top them off" in the morning. Is anyone else having this problem or had this problem with their Colorado?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

Those aren't very high quality boats, but there is nothing wrong with Summit valves. Outcast uses them in their high quality Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat series float tubes and I never had any trouble with mine.

Keep in mind that if you pump the thing up in the heat of the day, in the cooler environment of the next morning's likely lower ambient temperature the pressure WILL be down because of thermal contraction.

It would be interesting to pump it up on say, a 70 degree F day and then wait 24 hours and check it again at 70 degrees F.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:55 PM

I have these stored in my garage which is at a constant 73 degrees. No change in temp, nor elevation. Like I said, I knew I had a problem with the first ones, but to get a second set the same way is either dumb luck or poor workmanship.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

WV,

As I stated in another thread about this,I have Fishcat boats and they are good and have good warranty coverage. The most Important thing I can tell you is buy from a Raft Shop. If you buy direct from a shop that sells and services the boats on site your pain will be greatly reduced if there is a problem.

For the fishing with your brother type outings the 13' two seater I have is the perfect thing. I use a snowmobile trailer to haul mine to the rivers.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm sorry guys. I'm going to stop BEATING A DEAD HORSE about this. I'm frustrated and I'm using this thread to vent. I'm going to accept my loss on this if the new valves they are sending me don't work. I don't want to buy a more expensive boat, nor do I want a double seater. As long as they are sending me free replacement parts to get this right, I'll be glad to accept. Thanks guys for hearing my complaints and understanding my frustration.