The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Simms Rivershed Boots

I amconsidering buying a pair of Simms Rivershed boots. Anyone have any experience with them and should I buy my shoe size on these or one size larger? Thanks!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Simms Rivershed Boots

I almost bought a pair of these as friends gave good reviews. I thought they were a little heavy though and went with a pair of Korkers Chrome instead as I felt they were lighter as I do a lot of hiking when fishing.

The sales rep told me to buy at least one size bigger in the riversheds for extra socks for winter fishing and general room when wearing wadders.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I dint have the Riversheds my wife bought me the G4 Guide boots for Christmas and they are awesome

Street shoe I wear a 10.5 or 11 so I got a 12 and they work fine for my waders or Simms gravel guard socks for wet wading

Just got the rip rap wading shoes and was told buy those at the same as your regular shoe size as they are designed to be worn barefoot
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just got the rip rap wading shoes and was told buy those at the same as your regular shoe size as they are designed to be worn barefoot
How do you like the rip rap's?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

They are good, I definitely will use them for "close to the car" fishing or if I hike over 1/2 mile I will probably wear hiking boots and put these in the backpack and put them on when I start fishing.

I hiked about 2 miles in them the first day I had them and probably wouldnt do it again.

I also used them at a section of river about 200yds of real easy walking off the road and they were great for that.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I went up a size on these and they fit well.
Rich
Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I think mine are a size larger too. These things have a very large toe box and are a comfortable boot. And I thought they were very lightweight boots. Maybe because I had the older Simms Guide boots with the sticky sole, carbide spikes and leather uppers that I had to soak in water before I used them.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Krebster is on a distinguished road

Awesome pair of boots, studs are a must. Very comfortable (went one size up) and perfect if you need to hike a distance to the stream. Can't go wrong buying quality.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:03 AM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road

I have the rivershed boots and really like them. I believe you will too.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's put it this way...I am on my 2nd pair of Riversheds. The first pair was retired after 3 years of service and lack of grip. The first generation were studded Aquastealth. Although they are still servicable for more casual fishing conditions, they did not give me the traction I needed when fishing the shale bottom Great Lakes tribs and more rocky streams here in PA.

Replaced them with the newest version of Rivershed and added the Hardbite Star cleats. They are as comfortable as the previous version and as mentioned, the extra $ for traction was worth it. Since the materials are synthetic, they do not add much weight when soaked.

I went one size up as others have mentioned. Love these boots