The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 01:47 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default to use studs or not

After reading about Yvonne's fall. It has me thinking how well does a metal stud work on a flat rock/boulder compared to the new softer Vibram type boot soles? I would think the metal would just slide across the stone. But then you have to contend with the slick algae/snot stuff.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: to use studs or not

I have a set of Korkers with the removable soles that I love despite not being all that impressed with the vibram inserts. I tried out the vibram with spikes in Cape Breton chasing Atlantic salmon and nearly killed myself on slippery flat rocks. So if you can't use felt then in my opinion straight vibram is better then the studs.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Carbide does slide like ice skate on flat rocks, the newest runner soles, don't hold nearly as well..

I can see the big flat rocks, I'd rather take my chances there then while wading the stream. If I know the water has slippery rocks, carbide studs.. but I do wear the rubber soles more often.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I started using studs when the Orvis company offered them on their boots about 20+ years ago. I believe the best combo was felt & studs in combination. I've also had and have rubber / studded boots. There is no foolproof thing for all applications, the best you can do is to live by the words that Harry Callahan kept saying in the movie 'Magnum Force' "Man's gotta know his limitations". I have been fortunate in that I've never been seriously injured in a fall and as time goes on I continue to be more cautious.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I have the regular Simms studs in my vibram boots and they are ok, Ive never slipped with them.Now that I have the Simms carbide ones that are star ishaped in my Rip Rap shoes I think they are worth the extra $10-15 over the studs. Still having to add $40 studs to $220 boots is sort a insult.

My problem with felt boots was I consistently slipped and fell when climbing down hills / slopes to get to the water. I havent had that problem with vibram
Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Well I guess I will just use my Simms Flats Sneaker. I only get a chance to fish Western North Carolina about 2 times a year. And I fish year round here in Fla.
In the past I just used some old hiking boots.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM

vatroutbumintx is on a distinguished road

Any truth to studs spooking fish while walking on the rocks?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 PM

manderson2228 is on a distinguished road

I use them on my Simms boots and they have made a big difference. I started to slip off a rock at one point and they dug right in and stopped me.. I don't think they hurt at all.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine fishing without them. Then again, I am fishing streams that can be challenging to wade. I added the Star Bite cleats to some Riversheds and have never had as much confidence with my footing, even in higher water on shale bottom streams. To each their own.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I should say right off that I was a climber for many years, so may have atypical balance skills.
But, I fall about once a week (on shore and in the water too). It's s-l-i-p-p-e-r-y out there.
Over time I've identified areas falls are likely, and have also turned falls into an artform. Go with it, fighting a fall usually makes it worse. I sit down.....
Rubber lasts much longer than felt, and is good on (comeonavs take) transition areas and trail. Felt is great for slime. I suggest felt if you won't be traveling out of your area waters.
I want studs in the water, with either felt or rubber souls......but skidding on rocks is a real possibility.
As far as a "sonic profile", you betya the can fish tell you are coming.
Take little breaks when walking. 2-3 steps and stand for a while.
I watch while I'm waiting..

Jim