The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Great Products

Dean, how did you know that I am planning to visit Gelatin river? Anyway, what I meant to ask was What is the major difference between pro series of brodin and Ghost series, namely black bag vs. translucent bags? Just different color? Different type of rubber?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

The Gelatin has pretty tough wading conditions, watch your step!

I believe the Ghost series is named such simply because of the clear thermoplastic net bag. I image they are the same frame as the Pro series, which has the traditional knot-less, soft nylon net.

But I am going to call Brodin with some other questions, namely: why is the Streambase net 40% less expensive than the Pro?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Dean, I just called Brodin and find out that the bag of Pro series and streambase is made of nylon while Ghost is made of rubber. The person told me that if I want to avoid hook stuck the Ghost series is better.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dean on how the fish lay in the net makes a difference. With the Gallatin the fish stay stretched out instead of curled in the bottom, stick their head upstream and they stay calm.

Dave
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dave, up to what size trout do you think you could reasonably handle in the Gallatin? I see that the hoop is 17" long...so how deep is the bag on that. I mean could you scoop a 20" fish into there? Not that I scoop up a whole lot of 20 inchers...but you never know!

And Allan, I think you said you had the Gallatin as well...so I'd like you feed back too. I like that style, but I still love the Trout and Cutt models too...

I just spoke to Brodin and the low end nets are only three ply frame hoops and they do not recommend replacing the nylon net bag with a ghost...so I might just have to go all in!

Thanks.

Last edited by dean_mt; 08-10-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Hey Dave, up to what size trout do you think you could reasonably handle in the Gallatin? I see that the hoop is 17" long...so how deep is the bag on that. I mean could you scoop a 20" fish into there? Not that I scoop up a whole lot of 20 inchers...but you never know!

And Allan, I think you said you had the Gallatin as well...so I'd like you feed back too. I like that style, but I still love the Trout and Cutt models too...

I just spoke to Brodin and the low end nets are only three ply frame hoops and they do not replacing the bag with a ghost...so I might just have to go all in!

Thanks.
Dean

I wouldn't have a problem controlling a 24-26 inch fish, there is enough stretch in the ghost net to absorb his energy when flopping. I have a technique for landing that works well for me. Hold the net like a knife fighter (palm up) and keep it out of the water. When you have the fish surf boarding to you, thrust quickly parallel to and just under the fish. He will never see it coming.

Dave
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I, too, have a clear rubber net, so based on the info that's been posted to this thread (and the info on Brodin's website), what I actually have is a ghost series Firehole net.

I chose the longer, thinner net for exactly the reasons that have been mentioned by other posters; that's the shape of most fish. They can lay out straight and, I think, get a better freedom of motion in the net.

Anyway, I really appreciate the self-release characteristic of the rubber nets; it's a great step ahead as far as I'm concerned.

My wife has one, too. And she gets self-releases on most of her netted fish.

Pocono
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm gonna throw a new category out there: waterproof phone pouches

I've got one of these, called a "Dry Pak", and I couldn't be happier with it.

Click the image to open in full size.

(I use mine without the neck lanyard)

It slides into my butt pack alongside my fly boxes, you can work a touchscreen through to plastic, and mine has never leaked, despite being submerged multiple times. I can't say that about other pouches I've spent more than twice as much for.

Best part? Its about $10. Found mine at Academy.

I keep my fishing license in it all the time, and it sits underneath the phone in the pouch.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Pocono,
I have an older rubber mesh boat net that works great, it's like an aquarium when releasing fish, but sometimes I do have to keep the fish upright for a few until they gain their equalibrium. Another thing I like is that flies do not get caught up in the mesh, especially helpful with tandem rigs.

Can I buy a Ghost bag to restring my Brodin which has the old cotton mesh?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

you can....Restring Your Net