The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:38 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

The ONLY waders are the ones made in MONTANA...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

All have made good points, but one to reinforce is 'Don't forget the overall fit / design of the wader when making your choice'. Each company, model has features (pockets, D loops, hand warmer lining etc) that you personally may deem a requirement.

I love technology and the ePTFE based laminates in the GoreTex waders really give me the jollies. It is pretty cool to see such elegant use of fundamental laws of physics.

After using a pair of Orvis for the first couple of years of my FF life, I switched over to SIMMS entry level GoreTex waders and have been extremely satisfied in their durability, waterproofing / breathability and overall fit. The SIMMS fits my body better than the older Orvis pair and has just right amount of fabric weight, compressability, features etc.

The most important tip I can offer is - Don't buy a pair w/o first trying them on in the local fly shop. Saving a few bucks on something like this is not worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 AM

hairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to beholdhairwing530 is a splendid one to behold

The great thing about today's fly fishing is that technology has actually improved many areas of the sport. Not all, mind you, but many of them. And, waders fall into that "much improved" category.

As mysticm pointed out, the fit is the thing! If the waders you choose are a poor fit, you'll never be satisfied with them. So, if you have the chance, make sure that you try them on before you buy, and that everything fits as it should. The "try before you buy" approach can save you a lot of heartache later on... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
The ONLY waders are the ones made in MONTANA...
PT/TB
Yes.. the ones made locally right over there --->>>

Waders: now I'm Simms all the way

I am surprised I haven't heard much support for Patagonia
The toughest waders I ever had were the LL Beans with the Kevlar the knees. Not the most comfortable, but bullet proof.
Cabelea's has/had? some comfortable wading pants - cheap, and lasted like it, they'd make it about a season, season and a half.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Dhayden, I'm actually a big fan of the Patagonias. I have both chest and waist versions which I bought on close out as they were discontinued models. I really like the Gunnison Gorge pants and use them most of the time
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

yes, they're very popular. Just surprised they weren't mentioned before, but I could have missed it

For top-notch waders, I think it would be Simms vs Patagonia
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

During my time in Montana, I ironically became a big fan of Patagonia waders and Korker boots. I know that makes me a bit of a heretic!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Tried others but always go back to Simms gortex, all the others I feel damp in side as if they have a small leak but none breath as well as gortex. You have 2 warranty's with Simms , Simms and Gortex. If you have a problem with Simms you have Gortex to back them up.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I have Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders. They are great waders. However, as all waders eventually do, a bootie sprung a leak this week. I washed them and took them into a local Patagonia Store today. They handed me the newer version at no cost to me, and no questions asked. Top that for customer service!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I have Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders. They are great waders. However, as all waders eventually do, a bootie sprung a leak this week. I washed them and took them into a local Patagonia Store today. They handed me the newer version at no cost to me, and no questions asked. Top that for customer service!
Only problem with Patagonia feet to big on mine I have the wader pants and I don't have small feet ,I wear a 13 shoe.