The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

Yellowstone Angler:

2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wear the Orvis Silver Sonic. I bought they after a long consideration on their adaptability(Chest and waist), lightness and money ($259). I could roll mine to the size of a loaf of bread and put it into the travelling bag which come with the waders.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I'm having my own wader dilemmas of my own.

I recently bought the patagonia rio gallego's and really liked the features and fit. Took a spill on maybe my third trip out with them and put a hole in the butt. After about a dozen outings they're leaking badly. I'm tempted to send them to have patagonia patch them.

Before this I had the redington sonic pro's and they lasted about 1/2 of a season of hard use before peeling apart at a seem. The replacement pair started leaking sooner.

I'm not going to get multiple years out of any pair of waders so it's been hard to justify paying almost double for what could only be a couple more months of use.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I agree with others that the fit is most important. Simms has about every option in the book for size. I switched to Simms several years ago because of the fit. The other important thing for me at least is wader pockets. Our steelhead season starts in August and I do not start using my jacket until Oct or Nov, so my box of flies, tippet, extra leader, all go in my wader pocket. That was another reason I went for Simms. Before that I had a pair of Orvis that I used hard for 5 or 6 years then handed them off to my spouse when I got the Simms 5 or 6 years ago. She only fishes with me 15 or 20 days a year, but they are still going strong. Never had a leak and they look weathered, but not worn out. I switched because of the fit, but the Orvis are also great waders and you cannot go wrong with either.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Siskiyou,

I would call Patagonia, their warranty is great. Explain the situation to them and I'm sure they'll make it right,

Eric
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

Agreed, just send in to Patagonia, they will fix them.

Sorry to hear you had issues with the Reddingtons. I absolutely love mine and know several guides who are getting two full seasons out of them, which is a ton of use for these guys.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

There's lots of good info here. I myself finally wore out a pair of Dan Bailey Lightweights I got in 2001. I typically wear my waders 10-15 times a years but I fish a lot more than that either out of a boat, canoe, from the shore, etc... I put holes in them 3 years ago and they were fixed. This last winter I noticed my right foot a bit more damp than usual and found the leak around the seams on the bootie by the wader material. I just spoke to them and they are unfixable. I've caught many nice fish in those and had always been comfortable from the high 80s in Yellowstone to the low 30's on the White river. The company offered to return them or give me a 50% discount on another pair. I've got a month to decide. I have to give them kudos for their extraordinary customer service and followup. Even though these were made overseas they make and service a very good product.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all of the knowledgeable information, personal experience, and honest opinions.

Over the years, I'd only wet waded with tennis shoes or the like. A couple of years ago I added a pair of hip waders. After reviewing reviews and considering my finances, I chose a pair from LL Bean. They've been everything and more that I hoped for. Due to my being a non-swimmer, I chose the depth limiting hip waders over chest waders.

Still, I suppose I'll eventually check out chest waders. In so doing, I'd probably get fitted at my fly shop who deals with several brands including Simms, Patagonia, and Orvis.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I own 3 pairs of simms,2 from the late nineties,1 new g3 pair.Would not purchase any other brand,just my on stream experience.Like they say you have tried the rest now buy the best.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have a pair of Orvis Silver Lable II's and after 6 years of river/stream fishing, surf fishing and float tubing they still work great. Like the looks of the Simms but the sticker price keeps me from pulling the trigger on a pair, right now!

Craig