The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 10:30 AM

dsssox13 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

Who has the better waders? im looking to get my first pair of waders and i dont want to go cheap on a brand just to save a little money, and have them create problems. What is the preferred brand? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Waders: Simms Vs. Orvis

I don't think you would go wrong with either brand, that said I think Simms is the leader. Personally, I own a pair of Orvis waders, primarily because when I bought them they had a waist high version (I do most of my fishing from a drift boat) and hardly ever wade deep, besides Orvis was offering almost a $100 dollar discount at the time.

Larry
Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM

wvfishn is on a distinguished road

I've never owned the Simms or Orvis, but I have a pair of Gander Mt. Guide Series light weight which I've used for about 6 seasons. They have yet to fail me, but they are light weight and not intended to be used during cold months. I paid about $130 (boots and waders), and have been pretty pleased with them. See what the other guys say, but maybe stop by your local Gander Mt. store and check these out before you buy. Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sox,

I wore Orvis 4mm Guide Weight neoprene waders for many years and always loved them, the only leaks I ever had I caused.

Then I went to light weight waders, I have owned two kinds in the past ten years; I got 8 years out of a pair of LL Bean Wicked Tough waders and have now replaced them with a pair of Simms G3 waders which I like very much.

The Orvis waders cost 225 in the late eighties through the last year they were made (around) 1997.

The LL Bean Wicked Tough (and they were) cost 365 I think, in 2002.

The Simms cost 399 last fall, so if you want really good ones be ready at the cash drawer. I have read posts from people who get by fine using very affordable waders and I am glad to hear they have found a product that preforms for them. I am hard on my waders and do not want to find a leak in my seat or knees because I didn't get the best I could, so I save my money and get the good stuff when it comes to waders. Nothing will ruin an outing like discovering that your left leg is filling with water.

Ard
rockriver and troutnut4 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Simms pretty much owns the fly fishing industry when it comes to premium waders. The main selling point is that every premium wader uses Gore Tex Pro Shell Technology membranes. In regards to waterproofness, other quality membranes could match it. When it comes to breathability, Gore Tex Pro is the best. When it comes to membranes, everyone knows Gore Tex.

Simms offers a Gore membraned wader called the Rivershed at the $299 price point. It uses an earlier version of Gore Tex, but it still is a Gore membraned wader.

MP
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM

canine is on a distinguished road

I haven't used Orvis waders, so I can't comment on them, but i love my Simms G3's. I found mine for about $100 off at a closeout. I had previously gone thru 2 pairs of Cabelas guide waders in 3 years (seams kept leaking. don't know if it was me or something about the waders). So I jumped at the chance to get simms. They fit so much better. They aren't as baggy, yet they don't bind. So it is easier to move in the water and stand in swifter currents. They breathe well. I can, and do, wear them year round in complete comfort. One of my top 3 fishing related purchases.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM

turner66 is on a distinguished road

My story is similar to Ard's. Having previously used hip waders, my first premium waders were Orvis neoprene's. It was 1989-90 and at $250(+-), they were among the best. I don't even recall if there was really anything much better at the time... I used them regularly for 9 yrs before moving south, where it was too warm to use them most of the year. Funny thing is, even after all this time, I still have them, and they occasionally still get used when it gets cold enough, or on a winter trip back home. It is a true testament to how well they were made back then.

Then, I went through a few cheaper pairs of lightweight waders before settling on Simms G3 convertibles. These are by far the best I've owned. Simms has a very broad range of sizes and I was able to find exactly the right fit. To me, there's few things worse than fishing a pair of waders that don't fit quite right... Performance of the Simms Goretex material is fantastic, and the construction is second to none. Initial price was a little tough to swallow, but after fishing them, was soon forgotten.

I can't comment on the Orvis breathables, or today's Orvis wader quality; maybe someone else can say more about that. But I can highly recommend the Simms. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I have a pair of Orvis Silverlabel II stockingfoot waders. Not wanting to spend a load of money on my first set of waders ever, I opted for Ebay. I was able to buy an Orvis set of waders still new in packing, but was not able to find a set of boots to match so I bought a pair of Simms boots. Sacriledge I know.
So far they have been awesome!!!!!!
Quality is excellent. The legs have extra layers in the high wear areas, i.e. the knees, rump area. Yet everything is so light and flexible. (From all I have heard and read Orvis has one of the better warranties in the business. But having not actually needed the warranty I can't actually give my personal opinion on it. Sorry.)
I was wanting a set of Simms but after stumbling on these Orvis waders I will definitely be considering Orvis for my next wader purchase. Hopefully though it wont be for quite a while though.
All said I would definitely recommend Orvis.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Simms pretty much owns the fly fishing industry when it comes to premium waders. The main selling point is that every premium wader uses Gore Tex Pro Shell Technology membranes. In regards to waterproofness, other quality membranes could match it. When it comes to breathability, Gore Tex Pro is the best. When it comes to membranes, everyone knows Gore Tex.

Simms offers a Gore membraned wader called the Rivershed at the $299 price point. It uses an earlier version of Gore Tex, but it still is a Gore membraned wader.

MP
x2

I'm currently still using a pair of Simms Guides I got in 2001. If they gave up, I'd likely get the Rivershed.

If funds were tight, I'd likely get the LL Bean $100 option.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

I was torn between Simms Blackfoot and Orvis Silver Label.
However, I ended up getting an LL Bean Emerger, just for their great warrantee!