The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Simms G3 or Rivershed Waders???

EDIT: I meant Simms Headwaters, not Rivershed.
After 3 LONG years of hard use, my Hodgman waders are leaking like the Titanic. LL Bean is having a 30% off sale this weekend, and I'm trying to decide between the Headwaters and G3 waders. I'll be mail ordering these, so any tips on fit would be helpful, as well as whether the G3 waders are worth an extra $100, and if they're comfortable in warmer weather. I'm 6'1" tall, and down to 190lbs (YEAH!!!). My shoe size is 12/13, and inseam is 34/36 depending on manufacturer. I'd buy another cheapy pair of waders, but I go fishing a lot throughout the year.

P.S. I just measured my chest, and it's 44 inches. If I went with the Headwaters, I'd have to get the XL in order to have size 12 booties. I'm still deciphering the G3 fit chart....
Old 09-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Simms G3 or Rivershed Waders???

Frank,

I have a G3 and will be sending them back at the end of the season because the bootie is too small. I wear a 13 in everything and they have been killing me for two seasons now. I have size LL, large long and they state 12 - 13 foot but they hurt even when I wade in my sport sandals.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I didn't get G3's but my G4's neoprene feet fit my actual foot size closer.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
I'm wearing size 13 Rivershed boots, and they fit fine. I read somewhere else that the booties were a bit small. Those Hodgemans had huge booties, but they've moved production from S. Korea to China. I can drive 80 miles to Cabelas to try on different waders, but maybe I'll get two or three pairs and send back the ones that don't fit. The local fly shops I like only carry Orvis, but the shop I don't like is having a 30% off Simms sale this weekend. They're only 35 miles away, but they have bad attitudes.....
Old 09-04-2011, 08:16 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'd go to the shop with the 30 percent off and just put up with them. Hopefully you can find what you want and leave. I ordered based on the simms size chart from reelflyrod.com, fit was good for me. Good luck
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Most of us have one foot bigger than the other. Our plant foot. Often Rt foot, if Rt handed. Simms has custom booties/fitting if that helps. The "king fit" sounds good for
your chest measurement. A lrg/king sounds about right.
My G3's are solid. I fish hard, and get 3-5 yrs from mine.
Lower leg on the Gs may be a little warm, but I've fallen a few times and haven't had a leak yet.
Tough, and super breathable, aren't easy to combine. I'll take leak free....
I just where shorts underneath if it's hot.

Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Frank I don't think you could go wrong with either set given that you have a no questions asked guarantee from Bean. Have heard, but cannot confirm first hand that some guys have had issues with the Headwaters. The G3's are bombproof. My best bud has a set that had quite a few miles on them before he had some issues. Simms fixed them and shipped them back, no questions asked. The only hesitation that comes to mind with the G3 is that since they are bombproof, they have more layers. I have one pair of waders that I use in the fall/winter/spring and another lighter pair for when it's really hot out. If you fish mostly fall/winter/spring then I say go for it! Especially with a discount!

Bean makes some pretty nice boots, but one thing that I despised about them was the neoprene suspender harness on the back. WAY too hot for warmer weather. I did remediy this though as the same bud I mentioned gave me a pair of Orvis suspenders to put on them which worked out perfect!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Hi Guys,
The 30% LL Bean sale was really a 10% deal. Wishful thinking I suppose. I'll take sturdy over slightly warm any day (except for 95* days). I often drop the tops on my chest waders on warm days, and try not to wade above my crouch anyway. During a visit to Cabelas last year, I tried on a few pairs of Simms, but forget which sizes worked best. I have to decide whether to order a couple sizes from LL Bean, or drive to Cabelas. Shipping back the pair(s) that don't fit will be cheaper than driving 160 miles round trip.