The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default SIMMS Headwaters Boot Questions

The felt sole on my current boots finally disintegrated after several years. The top two choices I have narrowed down to are - the Patagonia Rock Grip & Simms Headwaters, both in the rubber sole.

I like to hike in search of backcountry streams so lightweight, comfort and good build quality are important.

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to solicit any 'in use' comments folks might have specific to these two models. From what I have read on this site, both companies have their fans & make top quality gear.

Regards

P.S. Once I complete my selection process, I will post a review here
Old 09-11-2011, 01:06 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: SIMMS Headwaters Boot Questions

I have the Simms Rivershed boot that has the same sole. I chose the Rivershed as it is as much of a rugged hiker as a wading boot as I need something for much the same purpose as you. The Simms sole is pretty darn good for a non felt sole but I added the carbide studs and it's now excellent, I'd highly recommend the same for yours if you choose the Simms.

The Patagonia boot looks nearly the same as the Rivershed at the same price so with that in mind I would try all three and see what works best for your feet.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: SIMMS Headwaters Boot Questions

Simms soles (rubber) need the studs to prevent doing your impression of a pig on ice.
The river shed is a great boot, but I would consider using aqua seal on the exposed threads, if you see any wear..
I am sold on the freestone boot. I have worn two soles off, and the uppers are still going strong (5yrs). Apparently I drag my left toe somehow, so that's where they are going to blow.
Not the shoes fault!
Hearing some issues of the rubber sole peeling away from the toe. They clearly need some tie-in between sole and uppers.
A freind beefed his up with the material that is used to coat truck beds. End of issue.

Patagonia has a pretty grippy sole, but I have been seeing some delamination (peeling) between rand and boot. I wait a season before weighing in on new stuff. Let them get it dialed. On the other hand, if it fails, send it back....

Jim